Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike is broken in (640ish) and I gave a call to the shop where I got the bike (only one in town). And they said it will be 11 days before they can get my bike in there and then I still have to let them hold it for 3 days... they said they are missing some techs so they are back-loged.

Who knows what the first service on a bike entails besides oil and adjusting the chain?

I have another garage I can go to, but I would like to know what goes into a first run service.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Oil and chain are the main things. I would go through the bike and make sure everything is tight though. Mainly focus on structural things like axles, brakes, clip ons, things like that. Not much else is needed besides the oil change, and fluid checks.

·
Ride or Die
174 Posts
like he said, first service is just about the chain and the fluids, I noticed on my 04's first service I did it myself, that some of the fairing screws were a little loose but not real bad. Its not worth paying them a hundred and something buks to do the stuff you can do. Plus it lets you learn yer bike a bit. Good luk and any ??? bring em on. :cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friends dad is a bike/airplane/boat/car/ any engine mechanic... so Im thinking I will just skip the dealership and take it to him to have him show me what up if thats all that needs to be done. He already knows whats up with caring and adjusting the chain, so I think we can handle the service.

Thanks!~

·
Registered
79 Posts
well, for starters your owners manual should give you a list of the stuff to check @ 600miles (page 6-3 through 6-6 of the 2004 FZF-R6S(C) owners manual). that would be a good place to start. at my shop they do oil / filter change, adjust / lube drive chain, adjust throttle / clutch cable, check tire pressure, lube / adjust berrings, lube other moving parts as needs, check the wear of brakes, and check over all structure for mechanical soundness. they also clean the bike, too.

personally i would advise changing your oil after the first 30-50 miles. that is when most of the engine wear takes place and when you get the most amount of little bits floating around in your oil. no reason to keep the circulating about your engine for another 550 miles. also, it's best NOT to put silicone oil in your bike till after about a 1000 miles or so.

-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
409 Posts
yeah I caught that too I think he meant synthetic I didnt want to correct him tho cause he tends to kinda flame and take things a little over the top (gytr exhaust thread)

·
Registered
79 Posts
03r6sbk said:
yeah I caught that too I think he meant synthetic I didnt want to correct him tho cause he tends to kinda flame and take things a little over the top (gytr exhaust thread)
whoops, sorry about that. I must have been pre-occupied with changing the silicone in my breast implants when i wrote that. as for the bike, no synthetic before 1000 miles. as for the breasts, i think you can put silicone in after like your 1st boob job ;)

-chr|s sedition

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
SBR6 said:
Put synthetic oil in your bike........car........boat......whatever - ANYTIME you want!
It seems everyone you ask about this has a different opinion. I asked a friend at a dealership this last week about this when I was about to do my 600 mile service, and he rejected the idea. I didn't ask for clarification, so I'm just relaying what I've heard. I just ended up buying my oil (what the dealer would have used anyway) from the dealer and doing it myself.... was fairly easy and working on your own bike is always a blast. Bottom line, I think this debate could go on forever, it all depends on who you ask I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts