Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Vision.

edit: Actually let me expand on that. I think the first skill to go would be the mental ones. It's not like you forget out to downshift or hang off the bike, that's just muscle memory. I'm sure it's different for different individuals. For me, good vision is the first to go. Even after a short break, like the normal time in between events, I find that I have to remind myself in the first few laps back on track to look where I want to go, not where I am going. Same thing on the dirt bike; after a few weeks off I have to realize that I need to be looking at the next obstacle to negotiate, not the one I'm currently riding over.

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
reaction time?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
For me its mental. After a while off the bike I find my confidence in turns has faded. I have to take it easy a few laps, but usually it comes back fairly quick

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
What kickstand?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Late braking and entry speed. It takes a while for my brain to get out of street survival mode and let it happen.

That and I keep trying to cancel the damn turn signal. :sing

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me it's confidence
I think that most people would feel like their confidence is down a little bit but WHY? What makes you confident when riding?

Others have mentioned visual skills.....if your visual skills are good do you feel confident?

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Remembering to put the kickstand down.
This. I didn't ride for like 3 weeks. Just 3 weeks. Took the bike out for a spin for maybe an hour, got home, hopped off like everything was great. Until the entire weight of the bike was suddenly in my hands.

Thankfully In my panic I got it upright. Scared the hell out of me tho.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
+1 on mental. Things just feel like they happen too fast after a long break. My mind can't keep up with speeds I used to go the previous time for a good 2 or 3 sessions. I'm sure this is different for everybody. Some people can just go right away. If I take more than a month break, I definitely spend some sessions or a good chunk of the first day back to catch up mentally.

·
Registered
806 Posts
This. I didn't ride for like 3 weeks. Just 3 weeks. Took the bike out for a spin for maybe an hour, got home, hopped off like everything was great. Until the entire weight of the bike was suddenly in my hands.

Thankfully In my panic I got it upright. Scared the hell out of me tho.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Lol mine was putting the kickstand up. No problem if you turn left slow right away.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
I think that most people would feel like their confidence is down a little bit but WHY? What makes you confident when riding?

Others have mentioned visual skills.....if your visual skills are good do you feel confident?

:popcorn:
the confidence may feel down due to lack of seat time. the more time on the bike the more at home you feel. when you are away from that for some time you may second guess what you had previously felt was second nature. i dont think it takes long to over come, for most maybe a day or two till it well comes back to you like riding a bike :laugh

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A couple of you guys said confidence is the first skill to go while a few others said reaction time and/or vision.

I think they are all related in that after a break you end up doing something different with your visuals, and that would affect your overall confidence and reaction times. What do you think changes with your visuals when you haven't ridden for a while?

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
I don't know, I'm back into the swing of things within 20 mins of riding. This is over a 6 month winter span.

IDK how anyone can lose confidence?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts