Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my first day ever riding a motorcycle. I just got my r6 back from the shop, I was having my carbs cleaned. A friend of mine was going to teach me but we could never make our time coincide as he lives over an hour away. Well, I had grown up on dirt bikes, ATVs, I was familiar with driving standard but motorcycle were a whole new ball game. I decided that I was done just looking at my r6, and cleaning it over and over again and that I was done being afraid of it. So I walked it out of its parking space, put my helmet on and put it in gear. I was honestly expecting to buck it a few times, its been years since i've operated anything besides an automatic car. surprisingly, I didn't buck it at all I rolled off the clutch very slowly and easily and the bike started rolling without giving it any throttle. Ill admit I struggled to find my balance at first and kinda walked my feet with it but than it had enough speed to throw my feet on the pegs and go for a ride. A few things I noticed were, I tried to get used to everything and riding it correctly so throughout my apartment complex as id make a turn, id throw the blinker on. well the blinkers don't make any noise and they dont automatically shut off after the turn so thats definitely something ill have to get used to flipping back and forth between. Also, i tried to get myself comfortable with shifting, Id squeeze in the clutch and bring it up to second gear. It seemed to go pretty smoothly as long as i handled the clutch properly. I did notice that if I was completely stopped and I squeezed the clutch in and dropped it to first gear from neutral it didn't feel very smooth. It felt like the bike wanted to jerk forward but didnt buck. The clutch was held in. What am I doing wrong, or is that normal? issue with the bike? you tell me. Also, Ive always listened for the motor to "tell" me when to shift, anything under 20mph sounded fine to be in first, I did switch between the two around 18-20mph to see which sounded better and they sounded about the same. When do you guys hit 2nd? and roughly when do you hit 3rd? (later down the line, im just doing parking lot riding for now but nice to know) Also, I don't understand the throttle on my left hand. When i first start it, generally i have it all the way open (all the way at the bottom) I did move it up after a little bit to just above where it would start sputtering. is that correct?

anyway guys, I know that's a lot to read through. Im just brand new at this, and trying to learn. One thing you can definitely feel on this bike is that if you dont treat it with respect, it will kill you or atleast seriously hurt you. So im trying to do my best not to get hurt. Also, I will be taking a riding course soon, Ive actually been told that the riding course in my area is really difficult for people who have never ridden before and that some people drop out of it during the class because they cant keep up. (my brother just went through it, and informed me that I should have a little bit of experience before i go)

·
Always in 2nd gear
16 Posts
Throttle on left hand..?
Msf course hard in your area?
What gear to shift and ride in..?
Man idk what to tell you.. If you want to learn how to ride my suggestion is just go out and do it.. Stick to less populated roads and then progress.. ??

I shift gear when I need to.. If the speed limit is 55 I'm in 6th gear.. Otherwise I like to ride in about 6-9k rpms

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Throttle on left hand..?
Msf course hard in your area?
What gear to shift and ride in..?
Man idk what to tell you.. If you want to learn how to ride my suggestion is just go out and do it.. Stick to less populated roads and then progress.. ??

I shift gear when I need to.. If the speed limit is 55 I'm in 6th gear.. Otherwise I like to ride in about 6-9k rpms
I thought the the same thing to be honest, why would the Msf course be hard if its supposed to teach beginers, but my brother wasn't the only one to tell me that. multiple people who have taken it, have said the same thing. I was regarding to more less at what speed, or at how many RPMs. however, ill do like ive always done and go off the sound of the engine.

·
My Power band is blue
2,333 Posts
Don't just go ride the motorcycle. You are a danger to you and others not knowing what you're doing out there. Take the course. Then sell your r6 and buy a 250 to learn on. After a year or two, upgrade. There are way too many situations like yours that end in injury or death.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,411 Posts
Great wall of text. Yep I'm helpful.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The MSF course would be a great start for you if you need guidance In learning to ride your bike. The jerking forward while putting the bike into gear is normal on the r6. Every one that I have been on does this, so don't worry about that. Given that you said it had carbs I assume you mean the choke by the left hand, not the throttle. That will obviously mess with the idle, it's intended for cold starts. Don't worry about the speeds to shift at. Just ride by feel and shift when it feels like it needs to be. I cruise around 5-6k most of the time and shift at higher rpm when I am accelerating.

In all honesty if you need help to get started you might want to seriously look into the MSF course. I don't think I needed it at all, but others in the class for sure did! No shame there, be sensible with learning and keep yourself and others safe. Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
Don't just go ride the motorcycle. You are a danger to you and others not knowing what you're doing out there. Take the course. Then sell your r6 and buy a 250 to learn on. After a year or two, upgrade. There are way too many situations like yours that end in injury or death.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
That's a little more dramatic than I typically put it, but it's basically right.

You'll get way better at riding, way faster, on a smaller, easier to ride bike. Chances of getting hurt probably go down a little too. A sportbike has twitchy handling, touchy brakes, super sensitive throttle, no torque, terrible ergonomics. Basically all the worst qualities you could ask for if you're looking to learn the basics of riding a motorcycle.

You can smooth out getting into first gear if you give the throttle a little blip while it's still in neutral, and before you've pulled in the clutch. I don't know if it's from clutch plates sticking together, or things not being meshed up in the transmission, but I know this makes getting into first smoother on every motorcycle I've ever sat on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first off, thank you to the guys who gave me a serious response.

everyone started some where, and honestly I wont be selling my bike for another any time soon.

I did mean choke on the left side, thank you Kennedy. Once running where is it best to position the choke?

as far as it jerking into first, so it seems like most bikes do it. in the long run is it damaging to the bike?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The choke should be on until it warms up like any small engine. Then turn the choke off. I have a second gen with fuel injection, so I'm not sure of how the positions are specifically on your bike, but it should be labeled. For the shifting into neutral you are talking about when the bike is stopped right? It should be fine. When downshifting you can raise the rpm to make it smoother, but I'd get comforable with the basics before trying that

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Today was my first day ever riding a motorcycle. I just got my r6 back from the shop, I was having my carbs cleaned. A friend of mine was going to teach me but we could never make our time coincide as he lives over an hour away. Well, I had grown up on dirt bikes, ATVs, I was familiar with driving standard but motorcycle were a whole new ball game. I decided that I was done just looking at my r6, and cleaning it over and over again and that I was done being afraid of it. So I walked it out of its parking space, put my helmet on and put it in gear. I was honestly expecting to buck it a few times, its been years since i've operated anything besides an automatic car. surprisingly, I didn't buck it at all I rolled off the clutch very slowly and easily and the bike started rolling without giving it any throttle. Ill admit I struggled to find my balance at first and kinda walked my feet with it but than it had enough speed to throw my feet on the pegs and go for a ride. A few things I noticed were, I tried to get used to everything and riding it correctly so throughout my apartment complex as id make a turn, id throw the blinker on. well the blinkers don't make any noise and they dont automatically shut off after the turn so thats definitely something ill have to get used to flipping back and forth between. Also, i tried to get myself comfortable with shifting, Id squeeze in the clutch and bring it up to second gear. It seemed to go pretty smoothly as long as i handled the clutch properly. I did notice that if I was completely stopped and I squeezed the clutch in and dropped it to first gear from neutral it didn't feel very smooth. It felt like the bike wanted to jerk forward but didnt buck. The clutch was held in. What am I doing wrong, or is that normal? issue with the bike? you tell me. Also, Ive always listened for the motor to "tell" me when to shift, anything under 20mph sounded fine to be in first, I did switch between the two around 18-20mph to see which sounded better and they sounded about the same. When do you guys hit 2nd? and roughly when do you hit 3rd? (later down the line, im just doing parking lot riding for now but nice to know) Also, I don't understand the throttle on my left hand. When i first start it, generally i have it all the way open (all the way at the bottom) I did move it up after a little bit to just above where it would start sputtering. is that correct?

anyway guys, I know that's a lot to read through. Im just brand new at this, and trying to learn. One thing you can definitely feel on this bike is that if you dont treat it with respect, it will kill you or atleast seriously hurt you. So im trying to do my best not to get hurt. Also, I will be taking a riding course soon, Ive actually been told that the riding course in my area is really difficult for people who have never ridden before and that some people drop out of it during the class because they cant keep up. (my brother just went through it, and informed me that I should have a little bit of experience before i go)
Hi haskell304, I think it would be a good idea for you (or anybody) to sign up for a learn 2 ride msf course, in my area successful completion also gives a waiver for the road test for class M license, but that is beside the point, I have been riding motorcycles for 15 years and I am in the middle of the course right now and still learning tons of new things to become a more competent and safe rider, its definitely been worth the time and $ so far.

just figured I would throw my 2cents in

·
....Casper....
720 Posts

buy that book and read it a time or two. realize that the responsibility is always on you to be safe, don't rely on other drivers to be safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.