Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
The MSF course would be a great start for you if you need guidance In learning to ride your bike. The jerking forward while putting the bike into gear is normal on the r6. Every one that I have been on does this, so don't worry about that. Given that you said it had carbs I assume you mean the choke by the left hand, not the throttle. That will obviously mess with the idle, it's intended for cold starts. Don't worry about the speeds to shift at. Just ride by feel and shift when it feels like it needs to be. I cruise around 5-6k most of the time and shift at higher rpm when I am accelerating.

In all honesty if you need help to get started you might want to seriously look into the MSF course. I don't think I needed it at all, but others in the class for sure did! No shame there, be sensible with learning and keep yourself and others safe. Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
178 Posts
The choke should be on until it warms up like any small engine. Then turn the choke off. I have a second gen with fuel injection, so I'm not sure of how the positions are specifically on your bike, but it should be labeled. For the shifting into neutral you are talking about when the bike is stopped right? It should be fine. When downshifting you can raise the rpm to make it smoother, but I'd get comforable with the basics before trying that

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.