Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods Please feel free to move this thread I didn't know were to put it.

I am in the process of building a track bike 2007 R6.
I have a few questions about set up and changes to geometry.

1 What tire sizes is everyone using stock or not.

2 If not are you raising your front end to compensate?

3 Ride height- any changes in this area?

SO far this is what I have done

Penske rear shock
race tech front end (valves, springs)

Vortex Clipons
Vortex rear sets
520 chain conversion (-1 undecided about rear count)

Bazzaz FIQS (quick shift)
Bazzaz ZAFM for tuning
BMC air filter

youshumara full system
Shark skinz body work

steal braided break lines

HI/LO beam switch set up for map selector switch
keyless start

Anything I am forgetting? I have never been on a track yet but I would like to set everything up for a lot of track riding while I still have the money I know it's' over kill right now but at least i'll have it as I improve and slowley get faster.

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
damn, thats a nice set up for one who hasnt been on the track yet. :eek5
depending on your pace, i would start out with some stock size bt003's, you prob wont need slicks for a while but you can get them if you want. as long as your running the stock size tires, you wont have to raise or lower anything. its if you move to a larger rear(190) that you need to compensate the front. what state are you in? and have that suspension set up, it helps a lot.
good luck

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
I highly recommend you go to the track first.

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
A lot use 190 at the track, I've used both 180/190 and prefer 180.

N/A

Nope

I'd get an Agg brake reservoir, that adds at least 4hp to the wheels.

Always could use some Marchesini wheels or some Brembo calipers/pads if you have some money. And some wave rotors. Get some ASV levers

That's about all I would do. Didn't really think too hard about it but that's what first popped into my head

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I'd go with a stock bike before you spend money on stuff.... The bottleneck will most likely be you, not the parts.

Not a jab at you, just how it usually is.

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
I'd go with a stock bike before you spend money on stuff.... The bottleneck will most likely be you, not the parts.

^^^

I doubt 85% of the people at the track don't maximize their bikes potential. Probably more than that

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn, thats a nice set up for one who hasnt been on the track yet. :eek5
depending on your pace, i would start out with some stock size bt003's, you prob wont need slicks for a while but you can get them if you want. as long as your running the stock size tires, you wont have to raise or lower anything. its if you move to a larger rear(190) that you need to compensate the front. what state are you in? and have that suspension set up, it helps a lot.
good luck
I'm in NY state long Island/ Queens
I will be going to the track and no matter what I will keep going I know it, I have went down BAD 2x times in the past 6 years the last time being July 30 2010 broke all my right side ribs, cracked my sternum, and punctured a lung. Was back on a new bike buy Sept. 21st I am done with street riding cars are ass holes period. Once the spring comes around I will no longer have a street legal bike. :toocool:

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
I'm in NY state long Island/ Queens
I will be going to the track and no matter what I will keep going I know it, I have went down BAD 2x times in the past 6 years the last time being July 30 2010 broke all my right side ribs, cracked my sternum, and punctured a lung. Was back on a new bike buy Sept. 21st I am done with street riding cars are ass holes period. Once the spring comes around I will no longer have a street legal bike. :toocool:
:eek5
I hope you have good leathers/boot/glove/helmet combo

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

All that stuff I already have on the bike. I know my self if I don't' get it now I will never all now or nothing. I also have a 2010 R1 set up the same for later on. All the gear custom suits and protection. I'm in it balls deep now just want to do it right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what kind of gear do you have planned?
So far I have
2 custom Syed leather suits 1 2 piece, and a full suit both are full protection packages.

3 new helmets one slightly used

2 pair Sidi Vortice Boots boots

NO gloves yet but soon

solo back brace

Also increased my medical insurance and put away 4 months bills money I work off the books so no pay if I get hurt...

·
Registered
115 Posts
So, you're pretty serious, thats good! Going fast around a track is a lot more rewarding than on the street so I admire your determination. After reading your set-up I was thoroughly jealous but after reading that you have an identically set-up R1 made me ROL (rage out loud). Congrats. Dick.

:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great idea, did you cut the wire and jump it to the map selector plug on the Bazzaz?
yeah but I loused it up at first had to rewire the switch then shrink warped the wires tracing the harness back to the Bazzaz the connection to the bazzaz was easy it comes with the conector plugged in :toocool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
All that stuff I already have on the bike. I know my self if I don't' get it now I will never all now or nothing. I also have a 2010 R1 set up the same for later on. All the gear custom suits and protection. I'm in it balls deep now just want to do it right.

:bow Quite a few people on these forums seem to be rich, I thought I was doing good with 1 Street bike.:eek:

·
Super Mod
1,289 Posts
the best thing you can buy is seat time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the best thing you can buy is seat time.
I agree, my post was kinda a joke, seeing how he has never been to the track on his R6, yet has a fully prepped R1 just waiting for him. :nocontrol Makes more sense to me to get good on the r6 {which takes time} and then buy a R1 if needed and by then a new or better model may be available. Bottom line I think the TC is just gloating.:secret

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree, my post was kinda a joke, seeing how he has never been to the track on his R6, yet has a fully prepped R1 just waiting for him. :nocontrol Makes more sense to me to get good on the r6 {which takes time} and then buy a R1 if needed and by then a new or better model may be available. Bottom line I think the TC is just gloating.:secret
I wish I was rich truth is the R1 was a mistake after my bike accident in July I settled for a decent amount of cash for all broken ribs on my right side, a cracked sternum, and a hole in my lung.
My job held the spot for me until I was able to come back retail gun shop, I will spend everything on the track bikes and riding time.
The R1 I brought and set it up right away for the track because I was done riding on the street. Then I called Full Throttle (race school) after talking for a while I realized the mistake I made with the R1 for a beginner on the track. So I found a used 2007 R6 and started all over cutting corners that I didn't cut on the R1 lots of ebay and wera but it worked out.

I know myself if I don't get it now I never will have this opportunity again...

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Mods Please feel free to move this thread I didn't know were to put it.

I am in the process of building a track bike 2007 R6.
I have a few questions about set up and changes to geometry.

SO far this is what I have done

Penske rear shock
race tech front end (valves, springs)

Vortex Clipons
Vortex rear sets
520 chain conversion (-1 undecided about rear count)

Bazzaz FIQS (quick shift)
Bazzaz ZAFM for tuning
BMC air filter

youshumara full system
Shark skinz body work

steal braided break lines

HI/LO beam switch set up for map selector switch
keyless start

Anything I am forgetting? I have never been on a track yet but I would like to set everything up for a lot of track riding while I still have the money I know it's' over kill right now but at least i'll have it as I improve and slowley get faster.
+1 on going track only. Much safer!

and very nice setup! For tires I personally am going with the stock size Dunlop Q2's. Once I increase speed, I'll switch over to the 211's.

Do you have a steering dampner? If not, get that. I went with GPR.

Suspension is the biggest thing. Just get it set up for your weight. But it looks like you got everything else covered, so I'd say your bike is definitely ready to hit the track.

Now, if you don't have all your track stuff, I'd suggest getting that stuff all now...

Here's a list of track items needed:
EZ Pop-up tent
Tire warmers
5 Gallon Gas can
Generator
Track organization memberships (Nesba / STT / Cornerspeed / etc)
Lap timer (optional)
Go-pro video camera (optional)
Cooler
Folding chairs
Fan (summer)
Trailer (if you don't have it already)
Extra parts - levers, bar ends, pegs, etc...

Have fun and hope to see you out there! :toocool: :YEA

1 - 20 of 28 Posts