Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I will be doing my first track day this season at Grattan Raceway in Mi. I was looking for some tips or pointers to help me out. Ive been riding my R6 for a few years now and riding motorcycles for quite some time. Obviously this doesn't mean I'm awesome (because I am not :fact ) I was just seeking out some tips from the community. Thanks a lot guys!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
And do the sighting laps. And take it easy, live to fight another day.

·
Outlaws Justice was Here
36 Posts
Take a class first. I did my first track day in 2006 in N.H. , three weeks after taking the Total Control Class in NY. Was the best thing I ever did, I was on the track with a little 500 ninja (Smallest bike there) never been to a track before, and I had a ball, I was passing everyone on the track pretty much, since I did not have to spend time learning how to get proper body position, how to choose good lines. etc. I could focus on learning the track, brake points, etc. I actually got a racing license that weekend just to get the extra track time.

My Second Track day in 2009 at Pocono, making an outside pass on an r-6 with the little 1984 Honda 500!

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
All of those ^

Have fun. Work with, and listen to, the Control Riders. You can learn a lot about both the track and your riding. Start saving more money now...

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
Take a shit before you put your suit on in the AM or you end up dropping your cuffs in the piss that is all over the floor.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
First, realize that you've got all day to ride. You will get faster and more comfortable as the day goes on. Let that happen as it comes, no need to rush things.

Ride at whatever pace is comfortable to you, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You're in the beginner group, so chances are that they're doing it wrong anyway. :laugh

And if the organization has instructors available to help you out, take advantage of it.

Have fun! :YEA

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot. I like redisdeads tips. very practical :p and at grattan the beginners have an instructor appointed to them. The money thing is also a big thing hahaha. Ive already dropped a lot into her. Shes all set up minus aftermarket forks and rear shock. Ive told myself I am not pushing past comfortability (as I usually do) because I would hate to down on my first track day.

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
Bring your entourage. It'll keep things fun in the pits.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
First, realize that you've got all day to ride. You will get faster and more comfortable as the day goes on. Let that happen as it comes, no need to rush things.

Ride at whatever pace is comfortable to you, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You're in the beginner group, so chances are that they're doing it wrong anyway. :laugh

And if the organization has instructors available to help you out, take advantage of it.

Have fun! :YEA
This.

I'd also like to add don't worry about getting passed; it will happen and possibly all day long.

During my fd, I was scared as shit as people zoomed by me, to a point where I'd almost shake my bars, don't do that. Also, don't getting irritated and try to keep up (like I did) as you will likely make a mistake.

Basically leave the ego at home, probably been covered.

·
Bridgestone my new friend
435 Posts
Hello everyone,

I will be doing my first track day this season at Grattan Raceway in Mi. I was looking for some tips or pointers to help me out. Ive been riding my R6 for a few years now and riding motorcycles for quite some time. Obviously this doesn't mean I'm awesome (because I am not :fact ) I was just seeking out some tips from the community. Thanks a lot guys!
Grattan is a fun track with some very technical areas depending on which way they are running the track.
Take the novice class listen to the instructors and leave your pride at home. Drink lots of fluid and enjoy the day its not a race.

Make sure your bike is set up for the track... water in the radiator, safety wire your drain plug and filter and make sure your chain is looser than usual. Go over some of the important things like checking front brakes making sure pads are good lines are bled and that all the bolts and clips are tight and present. Actually go over the whole bike. Bring at least 5 gallons of fuel besides whats in the bike. Check air pressure and suspension set up.

They usually have a tech area and it would be a good idea to have one of the instructors go over your bike and show you what to look for.

Finally don't go alone just incase something does happen.

·
Torn 1320 vs turning
192 Posts
Listen to your instructors. They are they for a reason. Like others mentioned don't worry about getting passed not the end if the world. Your purpose there is to learn to really ride the bike and to have a good time. Also do not try and outride your own limits. Ride your pace and nobody else.

Be safe enjoy and have the time of your life.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Hello everyone,

if you're riding with STT, you'll be in good hands; i know many of the coaches. one of them actually got into riding at my suggestion.

grattan is a great track. don't try to be a hero. learn at your own pace.

don't worry about water in your radiator just yet. novice and intermediate still allows regular coolant but i believe I group requires oil drain, fill, filter and dipstick be safety wired.

lots of water to drink, tho. you won't believe how easy it is to dehydrate out there.

what day are you thinking of attending? i might be there...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you're riding with STT, you'll be in good hands; i know many of the coaches. one of them actually got into riding at my suggestion.

grattan is a great track. don't try to be a hero. learn at your own pace.

don't worry about water in your radiator just yet. novice and intermediate still allows regular coolant but i believe I group requires oil drain, fill, filter and dipstick be safety wired.

lots of water to drink, tho. you won't believe how easy it is to dehydrate out there.

what day are you thinking of attending? i might be there...

s3aturnr
Yeah it will be with STT. I know lots of people who race, my friend was WERA champ on his suzuki :yuk: in a few different classes. I plan on going 5-11-14, 7-5-14 and i might do a gingerman evening (college kid on a college budget) here is what my bike looks like

Attachments

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Less brake, more gas

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Coconut milk? You mean Coconut Water? I avoid that at all cost, gives me the liquid shits in no time :laugh

1 - 20 of 43 Posts