Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signed up for my first track day at Gratten here in MI on July 6th. Really looking forward to see just what these bikes can do and learning how to ride better. Any tips or tricks for a newb that I should know?

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
I would spend some garage time with your bike.
First with a bottle of degreaser, a toothbrush, and some rags. Cleaning the hell out of your bike will not be wasted time.

Then maybe check some critical bolts. Steering, brakes, throttle, cables, etc.
wont hurt to put a wrench/phillips/socket on them just so you can verify.

check your coolant & fluid lines.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Look where you wanna go and realize you can lean more when you think you came in to hot

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Look where you wanna go and realize you can lean more when you think you came in to hot
This....had my first TD at the ridge this past Saturday. Found my limits not the bikes :laugh but seriously look through the turn and where you wanna go. Caught myself coming in a bit hot into some corners a couple of times. Just relax don't panic (sometimes easier said than done but keep cool) look where you wanna go and lean.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys! I know I'll find my limits first, already found them on the street so it will be nice to learn some more from track riding.
I already look through the turns, even in my car, so that won't be hard.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Signed up for my first track day at Gratten here in MI on July 6th. Really looking forward to see just what these bikes can do and learning how to ride better. Any tips or tricks for a newb that I should know?
only sunday or both days? i might be at this one, but still not sure if i'm gonna make the trip out to PIR for the next WERA round.

a well maintained bike should be first on your list. someone said cleaning it and it might sound silly, but you'll find stuff you might otherwise overlook by cleaning things up a bit. a loose bolt falling off at the wrong moment could make for a bad day.

don't skimp on safety gear. it can literally save your ass.

keep an open mind and seek out advice from the coaches. understand that the fastest you've ever been on the street is still slower than most track warm-up laps. you will need some time to adjust to that.

water, gatorade and more water. you seriously can't have enough of either at a track day. tylenol or advil for afterwards if you're an old bastard like me.

masking tape, if you're using your stock fairings and leaving in your headlights. here's a minor pet-peeve of mine; tape up the lights as fast as you can and make it look like you did. don't go cutting carefully around the edges to get a perfect look for the pictures. that's how you find out who the real newbies are. :D

camp at the track. grattan is a great place to camp out and the night life is fantastic. i can't even go into the hilarious shit i saw jason disalvo do the last time i was there. in fact, i think we were all bound to secrecy. probably said too much already...

walk around and talk to people. introduce yourself and tell them that you're new and most riders will help you in any way they can. they really are a big, crazy family.

if i think of anything else specific, i'll let you know. ask away if you think of anything; i've probably done 1500+ laps at grattan over the years...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you run off the track into the grass
DO NOT USE YOUR FRONT BRAKES to slow down!
Thats a damn good point. When I see in videos where people run off into the grass and steer I'm always afraid they are gonna slide down. Rear only make sense.

only sunday or both days? i might be at this one, but still not sure if i'm gonna make the trip out to PIR for the next WERA round.

a well maintained bike should be first on your list. someone said cleaning it and it might sound silly, but you'll find stuff you might otherwise overlook by cleaning things up a bit. a loose bolt falling off at the wrong moment could make for a bad day.

don't skimp on safety gear. it can literally save your ass.

keep an open mind and seek out advice from the coaches. understand that the fastest you've ever been on the street is still slower than most track warm-up laps. you will need some time to adjust to that.

water, gatorade and more water. you seriously can't have enough of either at a track day. tylenol or advil for afterwards if you're an old bastard like me.

masking tape, if you're using your stock fairings and leaving in your headlights. here's a minor pet-peeve of mine; tape up the lights as fast as you can and make it look like you did. don't go cutting carefully around the edges to get a perfect look for the pictures. that's how you find out who the real newbies are. :D

camp at the track. grattan is a great place to camp out and the night life is fantastic. i can't even go into the hilarious shit i saw jason disalvo do the last time i was there. in fact, i think we were all bound to secrecy. probably said too much already...

walk around and talk to people. introduce yourself and tell them that you're new and most riders will help you in any way they can. they really are a big, crazy family.

if i think of anything else specific, i'll let you know. ask away if you think of anything; i've probably done 1500+ laps at grattan over the years...

s3aturnr
Only Sunday, by the time I registered the Saturday novice section was full. So no camping this time for me. Will be going with a friend that has a few days under his belt (and a truck to put my bike in, lol)
Will have stock fairing, so mirrors off and taped up lights. At least the blue tape will match my fairings! lol.
And I have good gear, so thats not a worry. I don't have pants at this point, but will borrow my buddies A* pants w/ my RS jacket and if that doesn't work I'll just use his 2 piece suit. Have gauntlet gloves and boots already that I wear on the street.
Would be cool to meet up with you there. I would really like to have someone help me with my suspension, I've never touched it since I got the bike so at least help setting the sag would be nice.

My advice; get with a riders coach and don't listen to half the shit posted here...:laugh You will have lots on your mind first td and posting may just add to the shit you do not need to think about your first td...Just my penny.

Have fun.
haha very true. I can't wait though, I've wanted to go the last few years and just never had the time or money. Worked out this year so we will see how fast I catch the bug and want to go again.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Only Sunday, by the time I registered the Saturday novice section was full. So no camping this time for me. Will be going with a friend that has a few days under his belt (and a truck to put my bike in, lol)
Will have stock fairing, so mirrors off and taped up lights. At least the blue tape will match my fairings! lol.
And I have good gear, so thats not a worry. I don't have pants at this point, but will borrow my buddies A* pants w/ my RS jacket and if that doesn't work I'll just use his 2 piece suit. Have gauntlet gloves and boots already that I wear on the street.
Would be cool to meet up with you there. I would really like to have someone help me with my suspension, I've never touched it since I got the bike so at least help setting the sag would be nice.
you can still arrive saturday night and enjoy a little "night life" at the track. it's well worth it. if you get there during daylight, you can walk the track, too. it's very good to see what you'll be riding on beforehand.

suspension is still largely a mystery to me. i do what you intend to do; hang around the riders who know how to set it up. also, there's a dude that usually comes to those days that's a suspension expert that will set you up (for a fee) and let you come back after each session to fine tune it. his name is ken and his company is called superbike suspension.

i tend to be long-winded in my posts about track days, but other posters are correct; don't over think this. well maintained bike properly fitted for the track and good gear are your main objectives. open mind and lots of water are a very close second. STT will treat you right.

if i make it out, i'll be in upper paddock in one of the garages. look me up. my screen name is all over my bike. plus, you can't miss an orange and black r6 with an old fat guy on it...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you can still arrive saturday night and enjoy a little "night life" at the track. it's well worth it. if you get there during daylight, you can walk the track, too. it's very good to see what you'll be riding on beforehand.

suspension is still largely a mystery to me. i do what you intend to do; hang around the riders who know how to set it up. also, there's a dude that usually comes to those days that's a suspension expert that will set you up (for a fee) and let you come back after each session to fine tune it. his name is ken and his company is called superbike suspension.

i tend to be long-winded in my posts about track days, but other posters are correct; don't over think this. well maintained bike properly fitted for the track and good gear are your main objectives. open mind and lots of water are a very close second. STT will treat you right.

if i make it out, i'll be in upper paddock in one of the garages. look me up. my screen name is all over my bike. plus, you can't miss an orange and black r6 with an old fat guy on it...

s3aturnr
Appreciate it man! My buddy said its maybe 50-80 for suspension set-up, probably can't hurt.

Water, gear, clean and check out the bike. Pretty sure I can do that. I'll be sure to post up after as well and let everyone know how it went.

I'll keep an out for ya as well s3atunr!

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts
Have fun!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy hell was that a good time! Learned a ton, got way better by the end of the day (though still slow and need work) and was quite sore and tired. Didn't know how much of a work out it would be!

I'll be going back for sure, just need my own pants this time or a 1 piece suit.
Weather held out, overcast but around 70-75 degrees. Perfect day.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Welcome to the addiction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts