Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so for my 30th birthday a friend and I will be doing a track day at California Speedway on March 30th. I am pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I will be takin my 07 R6. I have been riding for just under 10 years and started with a bandit 600, then went to an FZR600r, and now the
R6. I have ridden some local canyon roads pretty aggressively and have had some close calls with idiot motorists. Luckily I have never went down. What experiences have any of you had with track days? What are the chances of going down? What should I expect? I know the bike is made for the track. Any tips or pointers? I hope this doesn't turn into an addiction.

·
CARS SUCK
138 Posts
Congrtatulations:YEA
I like your careful progression with your bikes. If you are
as cautious on the track as you have been on the street, you will
do fine. On average, there are over half a dozen bikes that go down at Cali Speedway each day. It's happened to me. The key to bringing home your bike as shiny as it went to trackday is between the ears. Never ride over your head. If you catch yourself grabbing at the controls before a corner, or things are coming at you too fast, back it off a notch. You will be going much faster at the end of the day if you take your time and don't force going fast early. The speed will come if you are relaxed.

Expect to be nervous. Expect to go faster than you ever have.
Expect to be addicted. :werd

The one thing I did before I got on a track that helped was I
bought the book "Twist of the Wrist Volume II" be Keith Code. It helped me learn how to be smooth and described the proper technique to get a knee down. Thats the best advice I have.
March 29th at Cali Speedway will be my 10th trackday, and I am on my way to the advanced group!
HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Good luck with not getting addicted :)

One BIG tip for you. Ride at your own pace, don't follow. Another rider could be in your group, but even beginners are all different. You can follow someone into a turn and realize that you are in too hot, but it will be too late.

Following a control rider for a few laps is the best way to learn the fast line around. CRs are also great at giving feedback and tips, make friends with your CRs :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I can't wait. I will post some pics after the event. One last thing, I was thinking about getting a GPR stabilizer before doing the track day and now more so since I am running on the track. Do you guys/gals think I need one? I won't have much time to ride with it before the track and familiarize myself with it.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
You don't HAVE to have one, but it helps. Some tracks shake the bike up more than others though. If you have the $ and will buy stabilizer anyway, get it before the track, if not - don't bother with it.

Something that's commonly misunderstood about stabilizers is that they are not supposed to be maxed out at the track. Bike should be able to move around etc., but stabilizer keeps the front end from isolating uncontrollably. Having your stabilizer set too high can transfer front end wiggle to the rear of the chassis, which is a much larger problem.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
i m going to do my 1st track day on May 4th at Pocono's (NY)... i am also excited... got new tires, got new slip-on, pc and now looking for ways to get a pc map....

well, anyway - good luck to anyone going to their first track day this season

cheers!!!!!!!!
from last year noob/this year track novice :drink :YEA

·
My R6 is hungry.
93 Posts
have fun! i just did my first one this past sunday at VIR, freakin sweet.....take some gas and possible some fresh rubber

113 Posts
any suggestions on what all is needed, i know about the blue tape, and i am also changing the shift patter to GP style, they give out free leathers, so i have that covered

·
wat?
722 Posts
any suggestions on what all is needed, i know about the blue tape, and i am also changing the shift patter to GP style, they give out free leathers, so i have that covered
I suggest not changing your shift pattern right before you go to a track day... :poke

Bring light food, lots of water, gas, and a truck to drag the wreckage home in :nocontrol

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Yeap, ride it with GP shifter on the street for a while. You don't want someone to run into the back of ya because you hit 1st instead of 3rd.

113 Posts
i wish i had a truck, my R6 is my daily commute, as for the shift patter, ima change it this morning and ride it till sat. if i dont feel comfy with it, iima change it back. is it mainly to shift easier while cornering?

·
wat?
722 Posts
Post on your local forums and see if you can catch a ride with someone... or else consider renting a truck/van from enterprise or something; otherwise you'll have a hell of a time getting home if you crash...

Don't change the shift pattern at all until AFTER the track day. The LAST thing you need is any mental distractions... your first time on the track you'll have enough to think about as-is.

Yes there are reasons for GP shift but considering there are MotoGP/WSBK/AMA guys still using standard shift, you'll be just fine. Seriously, it's a safety issue for you and others.

Just go out there and have fun. Don't push yourself. Brake early and setup well before the turns. Steady throttle. Look where you want to go. Don't feel pressured to go faster than you are comfortable with.

113 Posts
Post on your local forums and see if you can catch a ride with someone... or else consider renting a truck/van from enterprise or something; otherwise you'll have a hell of a time getting home if you crash...

Don't change the shift pattern at all until AFTER the track day. The LAST thing you need is any mental distractions... your first time on the track you'll have enough to think about as-is.

Yes there are reasons for GP shift but considering there are MotoGP/WSBK/AMA guys still using standard shift, you'll be just fine. Seriously, it's a safety issue for you and others.

Just go out there and have fun. Don't push yourself. Brake early and setup well before the turns. Steady throttle. Look where you want to go. Don't feel pressured to go faster than you are comfortable with.

good input, ima change it back now,
thanks man

~pieces

1 - 20 of 38 Posts