Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
I would suggest that you put the bike in third and leave it there. You aren't gonna need to shift your first few days. Hell, this weekend will be my 5th day and I still really don't even shift.

My 1st time out this year will be on 19th... and weather looks shitty... I hope it's dry or wet but not in between. I have full rains and I have DOT race, but no intermediates. I guess worst case I will have to mount up a DOT tire and live with it.

I wish we had better weather :|

Ok so for my 30th birthday a friend and I will be doing a track day at California Speedway on March 30th. I am pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I will be takin my 07 R6. I have been riding for just under 10 years and started with a bandit 600, then went to an FZR600r, and now the
R6. I have ridden some local canyon roads pretty aggressively and have had some close calls with idiot motorists. Luckily I have never went down. What experiences have any of you had with track days? What are the chances of going down? What should I expect? I know the bike is made for the track. Any tips or pointers? I hope this doesn't turn into an addiction.
I'll see you there. It will be my first track day as well. I am already addicted though even before going I'm trying to plan the next one. I bought an 05 R6 track bike so it will be my first real ride on it. My goal is to bring it back the way it arrives and to have fun.

bring bananas, gatorade, water, some gas, chairs, and something easy to eat that's not to hard on the stomach. stretch your legs. also, you must have fun. :nocontrol which you will. like everyone says, ride at your own pace, get familiarized with the track ( you can find some lap videos on youtube and study it, which is what i do for new tracks), work on your body position, and be smmooooootttthhhh.

and tell us how it goes.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Damn, I feel like a fat kid waiting for dessert. I can't wait two more weeks. Thanks for all the great info everyone. Will I need tires for the street again after the event? Will they get destroyed?

Heh... I tossed my bike down the track at 100mph on Wednesday. Locked up front tire on brakes and it just tucked. Why? Because it was sunny and then temperature dropped, so when I figured my tires were good to go - they were not. Alpinestars + Sidi + Suomy worked awesome, not a scratch. I did bruise my hands and ribs a bit, but it's getting better every day.

Messed up various bits on both sides (it flipped), rearset parts, right clipon, light dent on tank, sliders, spools, and bodywork. Will be fun fixin' it :mad:

Heh... I tossed my bike down the track at 100mph on Wednesday. Locked up front tire on brakes and it just tucked. Why? Because it was sunny and then temperature dropped, so when I figured my tires were good to go - they were not. Alpinestars + Sidi + Suomy worked awesome, not a scratch. I did bruise my hands and ribs a bit, but it's getting better every day.

Messed up various bits on both sides (it flipped), rearset parts, right clipon, light dent on tank, sliders, spools, and bodywork. Will be fun fixin' it :mad:
The protection is worth every penny. I'm glad you are okay.

Ok so for my 30th birthday a friend and I will be doing a track day at California Speedway on March 30th. I am pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I will be takin my 07 R6. I have been riding for just under 10 years and started with a bandit 600, then went to an FZR600r, and now the
R6. I have ridden some local canyon roads pretty aggressively and have had some close calls with idiot motorists. Luckily I have never went down. What experiences have any of you had with track days? What are the chances of going down? What should I expect? I know the bike is made for the track. Any tips or pointers? I hope this doesn't turn into an addiction.
how was your track day? got any pics?

Sorry to hear about the crash. You will be surprised how much fun you actually have rebuilding your bike. Mine did a few flips and tore up a good bit of stuff. I've had a great time fixing it and getting her ready to go. I ran it once, but apparently I have a bad coil. I can't wait to get her back up and on the track.
PS Does anyone know if the coils out of a 06 will fit my 05?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.