Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:jump YEA!

Did my first track day yesterday. It was a balmy 55 degrees out, and had to share the track with some rich guys and their exotic race cars.

It was incredible. The 6 is an absolute WEAPON out there.

:worship

Passed a guy on an R1 a few times (it was his first track day as well). I wish I had a picture of us in the pit area... all five of us on Yamaha's!

So a long winded write-up of the experience...

Get to the track about 11:30, after thinking about chickening out. Pull up to the only other rider out there, and he is from the Colorado Sportbike Club He takes me around the track a few times to show me the lines and some basic etiquette.

I am REALLY tense, not being very smooth. On about my 4th lap, my toe slider touches pavement and clips my foot into the shifter. Back slides out, hooks up… ensuing baby highside sends me riding off the track. I keep it upright, pull back onto the track. After that, rode back to the pit area to pry the seat out of my clinched ass. :scared

Lesson #1: get the toe the **** out of the way as soon as I finish my shift.

Back out onto the track after relaxing a bit. Go around a couple times, and touched a peg down going ~ 70 through a turn. Freaks me out, and I stand it up and go off road again, luckily keeping it upright again. Back to the pits I go, to think about what I am doing. The guy who is riding there pits right behind me to give me a talking to. Basically told me to slow the **** down and just work on hitting the same line in the corners consistently. Also tells me I am not hanging off enough, and need to move around the bike.

Lesson: Smooth = Fast Not smooth = Likely pain and expense

So, I relax a bit and head back out. Taking the guy’s advise, I start moving my body to set up for the turns. Hanging off through all the turns, even though I probably looked like an ass-clown hanging off the bike even though I was slower than **** all. Get a few laps in, just trying to be smooth and relaxed. An open wheel race car starts gaining on me, so I get nervous and decide to pit so that I am not holding him up. Repeat this a few times, until I get more comfortable. A few more riders show up, and I am starting to get more confident. I manage to get out there for about 10 laps in a row, get passed by the cars without freaking out. Starting to REALLY enjoy it.

Lesson: The other people out there know what they are doing, so relax.

I am starting to hit the lines consistently, and speed it up a bit. The guy on the R1 was there for the first time as well, and I was catching him in the corners and he would just let me by on the straights. One time he either didn’t see me, or didn’t want me to pass him… and I ended up taking him in the corners. WHAT A RUSH. He told me that he was trying to keep up with me and follow my lines, which was quite a compliment.

I was having such a great time, I didn’t want to stop but I was already out of gas at 100 miles. Rode over to a gas station and filled her up, got back to the track for more fun. End of the day came, and the other riders were commenting that I was really starting to rip it up out there. I asked if I even came remotely close to dragging a knee… and they said I was leaned over plenty far, but my legs were too short to reach.

Got home and inspected the tires, and there was chewed up rubber all over the bike. And I wore the tires out more in about 150 miles of track riding, than the past 3000 miles of street riding.

Lesson: Buy a trailer and some gas cans. Get ready to max out the credit cards, because this is the shiznit!

Sorry for the long ass post, I am sure most of you just skipped it. But I am PSYCHED about it.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time. Now you have me hankerin for next spring to come around. I joined Nesba.com and they do the same thing in terms of organizing track day events at the big regional tracks around here (there aren't any bike friendly tracks in CT. There's Lime Rock but they don't allow bikes).

I'm jealous dude! Glad you had a blast! Pics would be bad ass as well if you think of it next time!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
:hammer
Nice one Rock! You are hyping me up to try it myself!!! Just gotta save up though. And by the way, congrats on the graffix set!

Mike

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I am totally addicted after one track-day.

One of the guys was out there videotaping us, so I am hoping to get some of the video uploaded. If so, I will see what I can do about getting it on here.

Hopefully I can at least get some stills to post.

I am going to call out from work on Thursday and do another track day. If I didn't need all kinds of crap for the bike, I would buy myself a digital camera. :roll:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was supposed to go on the 7th for my b/day pressie off G/F. I bought a plasma screen though and couldn't afford my new leathers. I've been told that you only have to have denim and bike jacket but my bike jacket isn't leather and doesn't even have the armour in it. I'm not stupid enough to risk a fall at 267 in that gear. I'm hoping some cheap leather will fall into my lap in the next few days so I can still get out there but if it doesn't its gonna have to wait till next year now.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cral,
I thought I would never get out due to the cost of leathers. I found a JR Speedmaster suit online atNew Enough for $350. Found a lady who does the repairs for the local racers, and she altered the suit to fit me perfectly.

I came out of it for under $500.

If you can wear off the rack leathers, you will be even better off.

BTW.... The track I went to will not allow you on if you don't have full leathers. I rode up with sweats over my leathers, and the guy was getting ready to throw me out. Then he saw the sliders poking out of the legs of my sweats. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pen,
I was getting ready to order a suit from SYED. They seem to have some of the best prices on custom work. However I found that lady locally that does repairs and alterations, and that screaming deal on a JR Speedmaster suit.

I have heard good things about SYED, and after talking to them... really wanted to give them my buisness, just had to go the cheaper route this time.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Mikeeh76 said:
:hammer Sup Pen!
Nice one! Made-to-order Leathers!
Sup bro! They're not quite Jasambs custom latex gimp suit but they are nice. Perhaps as a forum, we can all throw in a $1 and buy him the little red gag ball so we have to stop hearing about the Cubs and NEXT year.....

RockyR6 said:
Pen,
I was getting ready to order a suit from SYED. They seem to have some of the best prices on custom work. However I found that lady locally that does repairs and alterations, and that screaming deal on a JR Speedmaster suit.

I have heard good things about SYED, and after talking to them... really wanted to give them my buisness, just had to go the cheaper route this time.
Ya, just ran across them yesterday and thought that the prices weren't bad. But like you said, you couldn't pass up the deal you found. Plus you can find left over '03 and some '02 suits for dirt cheap if you have the patience to look around. But saying that, being the weeble wobble (5'6" 180 lbs and a pussy to boot) I am, I'm might just get some thru SYED from the start so that they fit correctly instead of having to get some altered.

·
Registered
293 Posts
hey rocky i think i might have seen you out there. my buddy with a 600rr and i rode down there to watch but didnt get there till about 3 and everyone was already done. we just ripped down the road turned around and went back. there were still a couple of guys there with yamahas packing up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, that was us out there. I was the short ass guy wearing Traffic Cone Orange leathers. We saw you guys ride by and thought you were coming in.

BTW... I am 5'3".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rocky congrats on your first trackday, gotta love NO cops NO speed limits and No mini vans! But you say you were on track with cars.. at the same time? that sounds crazy, ok alittle exciting but moreso crazy. Im in CA and have never even heard of an event that would do that, maybe sharing the day but not the track. Anyways sounds like you had a great time.

One thing i learned about knee dragging, dont try too hard. I learned the hard way, when i first started riding on the track i found myself focused on trying to get my knee down and not on trying to get threw the turn smooth and fast, well needles to say that method bit me in the ass! After that i changed my focus, and now that i have got alittle faster i dont even try to drag, eventually your going through a corner (no matter your size or riding style) your gonna drag, i usually lift my knee some so its just skimming at best, although some corners just feel better when you just dig your knee into the corner! makes for nice pics too!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts