Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its probably an old memory for all of you guys here, but i did my first power wheelie today. i was rolling at maybe 10mph, ripped the throttle open, hoping to lift the bike up. Disappointment followed, until i hit close to 10k rpm, and it suddenly popped up on me. not far, but the foot and a half it did was more than enough to make my whole day, 2007 r6

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice congrats. Where you in 1st gear? And you what rev the rpms while holding the clutch then just let it go as fast as you can without the engine turning off?

·
Touchdown!
1,301 Posts
Nice. This happens to me on a regular basis if I'm in first while I hit WOT in the powerband. It usually occurs at < 8k rpms. It's almost always certain between 11k - 13k. I've gotten used to it. Yesterday I probably got the front wheel about 2' off the ground on a power wheelie at about 12k.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Did the pw by accident in 2nd. 80 in a 35. Whoops. This was maybe the first year of ownership. This is yet another one of those annoying traffic-light-to-sit-to-traffic-light-to-sit down a main road just to watch two or three cars pass an intersection. I knew there was no way I'd make the next but thought I fool around just a bit, but nothing crazy. Tried to take off from a traffic light without enough throttle and stalled it... trying to be too gentle on the take off. Line of traffic behind me I was a little annoyed so when I cranked it back up (hearing the guy in the car next to me snicker) and took off, I dropped the gentle. Didn't WOT but it was enough to gently (and unexpectedly) bring my handle bars up to my shoulders. I just held it steady and it just as gently set the front wheel back down. By the time I got out of it and looked down, it said 80. Whoops. Yeah that's fool'n around more than just a bit. Didn't do that again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ya I’m still trying to figure it out. I can do a 2nd gear pop but not able to get it stable and under control. Still not comfortable with getting up to that neutral point and risk going past the balance and wrecking my very expensive bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Touchdown!
1,301 Posts
Ya I’m still trying to figure it out. I can do a 2nd gear pop but not able to get it stable and under control. Still not comfortable with getting up to that neutral point and risk going past the balance and wrecking my very expensive bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It takes time and patience; that, or practice. After all these years, I'm comfortable bringing it up because I've found the sweet spot. It took me a good while to find the sweet spot popping the cluch as I don't do it that often. A power wheelie doesn't really bother me as it seems it's not likely to loop like a clutch up wheelie. I need to work on my rear brake control while up in the air. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. No rush.

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
Honestly, I can’t recall my first wheelie. I’ve done some many over the years.
More practice makes it easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts