Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I finally got up enough balls to go to a dead end road today and try popping some wheelies after trying on and off for about 2 months now unsuccessfully.

I came to the conclusion that before I wasn't slamming the throttle hard enough, and I had all my weight towards the front of the bike.

I got going in 1st gear at about 30-35 mph and 6k rpms, sitting all the way back in the seat. I then let off the throttle for a split second and then slammed it back hard and the front end came up very smoothly, i had so much adrenaline pumping that I couldn't really tell how long I was up but by the time it came back down I was going about 50mph.

Now, a friend told me NOT to do wheelies in first because there is too much torque and too easy to loop the bike.

Being a wheelie newb that doesn't want to hurt himself, does anyone have advice as to whether I should start with first or second gear wheelies? I read on this forum that 2nd gear is harder to get up, but you can hold it longer.

Also, any pointers to remember while I am learning wheelies?

man, that was a great feeling...WHAT A RUSH! All i want to do now is more wheelies!

thanks

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah, and since i'm here and drunk, I'll be blunt.

Check out the post about "does this anger you " or something like that. Don't do anything like that, and also like loki said, don't kill yourself.

And yes, in first gear it's possible to be on the ground from a loop before you can even soil yourself.

A 100% original RedlineR6 P.W.D. post! :wave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts