Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt really a how to as im not giving the specifics to the sizes and im sure most of you dont have access to a lathe but I wanted to show off my work.

Background:
I have a customer that wanted a headlight housing done (I beleive it is for an 07, but I might be making that up) he must have had an accident at one point because he had an old housing with broken tabs and a new one which was on the bike. We struck up a deal where I would keep the new housing and repair his old one.

Upon starting his job however I did find that there was a crack in the housing as well so I may just be doing his new housing for him and waiting until I can plasticweld this one (or find someone that can) Anyhow, I still went forward with fixing the tabs and wanted to show it off.

Here is the broken housing:

Here is the Raw material to repair the pins (Black Acetyl):

Here is me making the parts:

Here are the finished parts (note, 2 different sizes for the mids vs the tops):

Here is the fixed housing:

Here are various closeups of the job from both sides, the 1st pic is the one tab that was still good from the front side of the bike

And here is a sour patch kid I made from Mega Blocks with my daughter

These are pretty much for the customer to see but here are the pics of the crack:

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is very cool! I would not be able to pull that off, at least on first try lol.
Thanks man! I know its kinda "useless" for everybody on here but I wanted to show that it can be done.

Oh, forgot to put that I just glued the tabs in from the back side, they get pulled on not pushed anyhow so it should be more than enough.

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn good, if only u had a plastic welder, then job complete.

:cheers
Yeah, trying to decide if I should get one myself or have someone else do it, I found them for like $230 or $240 from eastwood. I just need more jobs to justify it, the welder will be more than the worth of the housing... I am tempted though.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Yeah, trying to decide if I should get one myself or have someone else do it, I found them for like $230 or $240 from eastwood. I just need more jobs to justify it, the welder will be more than the worth of the housing... I am tempted though.

If you plan on doing the projector mods a lot, then buying some broken headlights off e-bay and fixing them just to keep in stock would be a good idea. That way, price of housing + projectors would be a bit lower and as long as its fixed am sure you wont have problems finding buyers, especially for the full housing with projectors for under $500.

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you plan on doing the projector mods a lot, then buying some broken headlights off e-bay and fixing them just to keep in stock would be a good idea. That way, price of housing + projectors would be a bit lower and as long as its fixed am sure you wont have problems finding buyers, especially for the full housing with projectors for under $500.
Yes, I've thought of that too, but in reality I dont have the time for it (at least right now) But I was thinking I could repair housings for forum members and whatnot (provided I dont suck at it LOL) for now.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
looks pretty good!

i recently tried fixing my tabs with jb weld... didnt go over so well... first ride they shook themselves apart, so now my head light is zip tied to the fairing stay, and i'm deciding on making it a street fighter to save money on broken plastics or buying a new set of plastics and a new headlight. really cool to see it fixed this way though!

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm down to 1 intact, 1 glued, and 2 completely off. :(
Thats basically what this housing was except one wasnt glued (could have been though) but I drilled it out to take the new one. The stupid part was I drilled the housing after I made the parts, I would have been pissed if it cracked or something when I did that, I did use bits made for plastic though.

<----- Does the Job right :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts