Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode the bike on one of the freak warm days during our icky fall weather.

Took it to work, school and back home. I'll just say that riding on a tire that has a flat spot is a little weird. And I don't like it at all. :nono

It's pretty planted on the highway, but going around curves the tire makes the bike feel like it wants to wiggle. I don't get the "falling into" corners felling, but more like I'm on the edge of the flat spot and the bike either wants to have less lean or more to get to one side or the other of the flat spot.

Flat spot after 2500 miles on the stock qualifiers. Should I be surprised?

I have a set of Q2's en route! :party My 90 degree valve stems are going on at the same time.

So, ya, before anyone can say it:

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like its more a flat zone than just a flat spot. flat spots occur from setting down wheelies or locking up the brakes. While riding streets and barely leaning over, flat zones occur.
New tires are the only solution that I know of and looks like those are on the way for ya.
I didn't know there was a difference? Either way, too much commuting made my flat spot/zone. Hopefully some multi-compound tires will help. :fact

·
cruisin for a bruisin
315 Posts
When you commute with a softer tire, that will happen every time. Try to find a sport touring tire(bt-023's) is a good one. I had the same problem with my dunlop's also.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Yup, qualifiers will do that around 2500 miles...

Oh, and youll be going over to the BT016's after those Q2's :fact :lmao

Sometimes I dont know why I even try...:poke

Just messin with ya, let me/us know how you like them...

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Sorry, man. I was definitely debating between the two! But <$200 shipped for a set of Q2 is better than anything I could find on the BT016s!

I'll let you know how it goes. If I don't love the Q2's 100% I'll think about the 016s!

You'll get about the same mileage on those Q2s if you keep commuting on the bike.
Well just rain on my parade, Joe! I'm gonna keep commuting! I'd rather commute on the bike than on 4 wheels!!

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts

I commute about half the mileage you do on the average work day, do you get a flat-zone on yours after how many miles?

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
VVV That is my Gramps!
472 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get 11k - 12k outta my BT016's before I change them...

Flat zone starts to appear around 8 - 9k...
What kinda pressures do you run? you must run like 42/40 or something to get that kinda life.

·
VVV That is my Gramps!
472 Posts

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
Well just rain on my parade, Joe! I'm gonna keep commuting! I'd rather commute on the bike than on 4 wheels!!
LOL I'm just sayin'! Unless you go with a set of sport tourers...that's what you're gonna get outta the rubber! I still got the stock rubber on my bike, and she's just cracked over 3,100 miles...by all rights, the tires need to be changed, but like I said...I'm squeezing the life outta this set! :D

What kinda pressures do you run? you must run like 42/40 or something to get that kinda life.
I run what the manual says for commuting 36/42...I'll go 3 or 4 PSI lower for spirited riding, and for the track I've gone as low as 25.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
:nono

she said

she meant to say I'd rather commute on the bike than on 4 wheels..

then you said she meant 2 rims... but she really meant 4 rims

:laugh
then you said 4 tires...she said two rims.

she said two tires...you said 4 rims.

And then 4 rims equals two tires plus two...on tuesdays.

Then 2 rims aren't 4, so the 2 is more than rims and tires.

tires and rims.

:yes

1 - 20 of 34 Posts