Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new tire about a month ago. I got a flat today and plugged it. Should I go ahead and buy a new tire or will I be ok for a while?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I would replace it, but I have ridden around for a short period of time on a plugged tire while I waited for my new tires to come in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea im probably going to have to ride around town with it for a couple weeks until I get paid.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Personally, I can't ride around on a plug tire on a motorcycle. I only have 2 wheels and don't really care to risk it. With that said, there are many folks who have plug their tires and had no issues.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
Personally, I can't ride around on a plug tire on a motorcycle. I only have 2 wheels and don't really care to risk it. With that said, there are many folks who have plug their tires and had no issues.
i agree with paytheon.if you cant afford it right now just take it easy on the plugged tire until you can get a new one.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
I DON'T ride plugged tires.
Can you? Yes.
But, you should know that MOST motorcycle tire manufacturers HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT exceed 80 MPH if you do run a plug.
I will not do it though. I would just buy a new one.

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
:popcorn: let us know how it goes!!

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
i ran 2 patches on my tires with one track day-no prob. partch it, it cost about $6. we use radial tires so the patch will hold longer than it should be. ofcourse, its still better to run w/o, just for peace of mind. plugs aren't safe but a friend of mine did a track day on it with no problem as well. if you have a reasonable tread on your rubber, don't waste it.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I've had my plugged tire on for about a month. Just regular street driving nothing over 80 and no crazy twisties, new tire coming soon

·
Will
25 Posts
guys, i got a flat the other day as well. Its a new tire so I am pissed! It was a little nail so i pullled it out and plugged it. I know its a bit ball-sy to drive around like that but honestly, if it lets loose it won't blow out or anything? ..... will it?

·
Track-day virgin
9 Posts
I just used some of that "slime filler." I just put it in today, didn't have time to take it to get a patch put on, gotta ride tonight with some ladies! I hope it holds up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i picked up a nail the other day...
i bought a plug kit this morning and once i can get air back in the tire, im going to get it patched aswell.
ive read that both a plug and patch can be considered a permanent fix... although many may strongly recommend replacing it, i cant afford it right now.

in the same article it stated that the green tire slime along with filling the puncture, can bond to the rim and through it off balance causing speed wobbles in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts