Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Love To Ride!!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember hearing/reading somewhere that using aftermarket flush mount signals and an integrated tail light would cause the tail light to malfunction. I find this kind of odd so is this true at all?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The LED's have less resistance than an incandescent bulb and causes the signals to flash quickly. This can be corrected by wiring in resistors or by replacing the flasher relay (which is what I did)

·
Love To Ride!!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LED's have less resistance than an incandescent bulb and causes the signals to flash quickly. This can be corrected by wiring in resistors or by replacing the flasher relay (which is what I did)

I'm not taking about the faster blink rate...That doesn't bother me atually i like it because it seems more noticable. I'm referring more to the idea that running flush mounts and an integrated tail would lead to one of them failing to flash/blink/work whatever you want to call it.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I've heard that sometimes (I didn't have the problem), but sometimes, if you switch out all the bulbs for LEDs, there won't be enough resistance to trigger the relay and they'll just stay on instead of blinking

Edit- sorry, this also can be corrected with wiring in resistors or replacing the flasher relay with an aftermarket

·
R6's Forever
335 Posts
Hmmmmmm, this is quite interesting. I have never actually heard of this problem and now that you have mentioned it it has me wondering about when I throw in my integrated tail in. I already have flushmounts (bought with the bike) and with the integrated tail if it does start to not to flash I guess I will have to dig out some resistors from my old Electronics Kit from my first year of college.

Where can you get a new flasher relay that you are talking about? And don't say your local U.S. store as I am in Canada haha

·
R6's Forever
335 Posts
i have protons and an integrated taillight...
no problems
Well I am going to install all my stuff first before I go the route of having to do anything. Gotta see if the problem occurs first right?

Yes that relay is quite neat, would be a worthwhile alternative if the problem does occur and resistors don't fix it. I would opt for the resistors first as I have some laying around from an old electronics course I took so its just the sensible option before spending unnecessary money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have integrated tails, bought some proton flush mounts, my brake lights did not work, nor did my blinkers.

I put on a load equalizer that I got from a local chopper shop, now my brake lights work fine (which is the important thing) but both left and right blinkers turn on at the same time when I hit either blinker.

I use hand signals anyways when I ride, so I don't use blinkers. As long as my brake light works, I'm happy.

·
R6's Forever
335 Posts
That would bug me personally, I would just have to have it working, but thats just me.
During the day I really should get into the habit of using hand signals, as I do see the odd biker doing it. But I guess I just have confident in bright ass LEDs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i purchase clearalternatives integrated tail lights today. I'm still debating which flush mount to go with? Proton or Greggs? I like how the Greggs is flush and it comes with Raven (satin black) covers to match the bike.

what are you guys doin gfor the fender eliminator? creating your own or buying the graves eliminator which is like 60 bucks. Not too bad but I would think you can make one yourself.

·
R6's Forever
335 Posts
My integrated tail is actually coming with the necessary hardware to mount the license plate, its just a small carbon fiber bracket. I hope it works well. It should really clean up my back end since its the stock 2000 rear end now and its pretty ugly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been looking around for some nice flush mount blinkers. They all seem to have some kind of issues in one shape or form.

I'd like to have some that work as running lights (like the stock blinkers) but it seems most do not work like that.

Is there a way to make them work as running lights AND blinkers?

I am not to worried about the blinker rate since that can be fixed with resistors.

Does anybody have any flush mounts that work as running lights or know of any that will do that?

EDIT:
I found these ones that say you can use as running lights and already come with the resistor...

http://www.watsendesign.com/Yamaha_Products/06R6/06_R6.htm

Now I am just wondering which color is the right one for my 07 Charcoal bike...

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
the protons work great as running lights and blinkers. They have resistence built into them, and have a couple different blink patterns 'programed' in (depending on how you wire it). super easy install and bright as hell

they dont have a lense actually, the led board is placed it a resin mold, so the whole assembly will never crack/separate and is one solid clear piece. they extrude slightly from the body to be better seen by traffic
damn you guys have me soundin like a sales rep or somethin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Plus the Protons are less expensive.

I think its like Ice Cream...some like chocolate and some like vanilla...there is no right or wrong...its just personal preference. I just wish I could try each one out and then decide...to bad there are not to many stores that carry that kind of stuff.

I'm leaning towards the Watsens right now but the Protons are in the back of my mind....

Watsens -> :swordfigh <- Protons

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
There are only 2 reasons I decided against the Protons

1) their "pre-programmed" blink rate would not work with my programmable flasher relay. I'd have my front and rear blinking at different rates

2) I wanted a smoked lens and couldn't get that with the protons

Other than that, I definitely would've gotten some

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the graves kit. Then I mounted the plate real low on the tail section. Its hard to explain but there are two push pops that hold the plastic on the bike in that tail section that if you take them out and bent the top inch or so of your license plate about 45 degrees then mount it using those holes were the push pops were and insert the push pops it will save you a little money by not having to by the place relocation kit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bythe way, "flash it" by motowerks is sold at cyclegear for $20.00 to replace o.e. flasher to slow down rate of LEDS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts