Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Middle aged monster
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title states. Just getting back on a bike after 12-13 yrs off. Bought an old 93 CBR900RR last year just to get around while I was working on my 69 Camaro. One thing led to another and I started modding the CBR. First the usual swap of the 16" front wheel for a 17" one. Then it started to snowball. On went an Aprilia RSV swingarm and 6" wide wheel, then RC51 forks and a matching Aprilia front wheel, then I adapted R1 rearsets. Now it's at the point where I'm trying to adapt an 08 CBR1000RR Penske shock and a set of Ohlins forks from an Aprilia Tuono R.

All of that lead to me buying an 08 R6 because I knew it was a great handling bike and I needed a benchmark for my 900 project. Problem now is that I find the R6 such a great bike I'm losing incentive to work on the 9.:mrgreen:

Now a little background on me:
I used to race locally for more than a decade on everything from a CBR600f1 to a heavily modded 87 GSXR1100, A 91 ZX7RR(great, great bike!) and my last race bike a 95 RS125 that was probably the funnest bike ever. I was club champion one year and twice rider of the year locally, and I even did a couple endurance races with WERA.

Looking forward to modding my R6(already started) and having a lot more fun!!:cheers

·
Middle aged monster
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind the chicken strips, I took these pics about 15 minutes after I took delivery :D

The 9 as it is now

·
Smooth
298 Posts
Welcome to the yamaha family. That just what my bike looked like when i first got it 5 years ago. But after seeing a high side and some other abuse shes not as pretty. Zip ties can fix anything. How about a picture of the engine bay of that 69'

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Aloha!!!!

·
Middle aged monster
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the yamaha family. That just what my bike looked like when i first got it 5 years ago. But after seeing a high side and some other abuse shes not as pretty. Zip ties can fix anything. How about a picture of the engine bay of that 69'
Thanks for the welcome!
As for the 69, there's nothing to see in the engine bay just a stock 327, but at least it's a stick car. :D

·
Middle aged monster
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey hey! Clean bikes, sir.
Thanks! Just getting ready to send the ECU from my R6 to Bauce racing for a reflash. Looking forward to getting it back after the reviews I've seen here.

The 900 is getting there, just made some changes to the bikes geometry to get back close to stock since the RC51 front end is a bit longer overall.

Other than the abrupt throttle response @ low rpms, I have nothing but praise for my R6. Best bike out of the box that I've owned.

Overall, loving being back on 2 wheels again:nocontrol

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
:wave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey lemme know if you wanna ride sometime, I'm on west side, PM me. Latahz
-Tony

·
Middle aged monster