Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where your foot is on the peg whenever you are in a full lean and your knee is dragging the ground? I've never though about it until today. :sing

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
as for the foot on the outside, have your heel of your boot against the back of the peg.
this i usually lock the heel on the outside peg

·
just don't care
46 Posts
I have the inside foot on the end of the peg at the ball of the foot, turned into the corner. My outside leg I have the instep (heel part of the boot) up against the peg and my foot more on the peg than off. This seems to be working great for me allowing my body to turn properly on the bike while offering good stability on the outside leg making getting off easier.

It's a fairly new technique for me, but was huge once I tried it. Looking forward to making it a bit more habitual next month.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
U also want to weigh your outside peg a bunch abd be light on the inside so u can pull your leg in.

What I have learned is that if I make an effort to open my hips my outside leg is planted abd my knee sticks out further✋

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
So natedogg624 inspired me to take some swing arm footage at my last track day at VIR. Battery only lasted for the first lap, and I don't have tire warmers so I wasn't pushing, but i'm pretty sure my feet are still working the same way. I don't understand this "locking your boot on the heel guard" concept. You can see the spot on my swingarm that my boot rides on. Someone explain to me what I need to do.

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Is it just me or why is "downshifting" actually going up gears & "upshifting" going down gears. Is this the way newer bikes are?

Sent from space

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
Is it just me or why is "downshifting" actually going up gears & "upshifting" going down gears. Is this the way newer bikes are?

Sent from space
That's called GP shift :) You just switch over the shift rod and the shifting is reversed (i.e. clicking down on the shifter shifts up a gear and clicking up shifts down a gear whereas standard shift, clicking down on the shifter shifts down a gear and clicking up shifts up a gear)

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts

Sent from space
I switched it to GP shift. I like it a lot better, and makes it easier to just stomp down to go up a gear. Its a lot easier to shift when you are leaned over also.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
So natedogg624 inspired me to take some swing arm footage at my last track day at VIR. Battery only lasted for the first lap, and I don't have tire warmers so I wasn't pushing, but i'm pretty sure my feet are still working the same way. I don't understand this "locking your boot on the heel guard" concept. You can see the spot on my swingarm that my boot rides on. Someone explain to me what I need to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7tpUceiT9k

you have an older designed vortex rearset, you are correct that it's not doing anything as far as a heel guard. notice how much larger the heel guard is for my bike than yours?

Sent from space
no, personal preference. you can switch around the shift knuckle for reverse or standard shifting. most of us here prefer the reverse style.

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Aaahh! I never knew that. Thats interesting. Man that would take me forever to get used to. Is it a WHOLE lot better?

Thanks for your input, babymilo, thetrurtle & natedogg

Sent from space

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Aaahh! I never knew that. Thats interesting. Man that would take me forever to get used to. Is it a WHOLE lot better?

Thanks for your input, babymilo, thetrurtle & natedogg

Sent from space
It depends on you. I really prefer gp shift, but I know ppl who hate it. It'll only take a day to get used to it, it feels more natural

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
It depends on you. I really prefer gp shift, but I know ppl who hate it. It'll only take a day to get used to it, it feels more natural
Mmmm. Idk why but thats messin with my head lol i guess cuz ever since i was 15 riding MX, i only knew of 1down 4up now R6 1down 5up. I only ride street unfortunately. Do ppl use it for street or just track? Both?

Sent from space

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Mmmm. Idk why but thats messin with my head lol i guess cuz ever since i was 15 riding MX, i only knew of 1down 4up now R6 1down 5up. I only ride street unfortunately. Do ppl use it for street or just track? Both?

Sent from space
Dont think about it just do it lol. I rode mx for 10 years before I heard about gp shift pattern. The hardest part is coming to a stop sign/light. You'll be clicking down then try to take off and realize you're in 6th lol

I use mostly on the street but it helps more in a track situation where you're trying to shift while leaned over. Give it a try, it'll take you 2 min to convert it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts