Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people will say that you should put the balls of your foot on the tip of the footpeg and turn it outwards and lock your heel against the swingarm or heelguard, but I found out that it did not feel all that comfortable for me on my first trackday. It felt like I was forcing my feet to go into that position and didn't feel natural. I'm wondering if I just need more seat time or just need to find a different foot position that works for me.

Here are some couple videos of some good riders with with "different" foot positions than what is normally taught..They have their toes on the tip of the footpeg, but they don't turn it outwards and their heels are pretty far away from the heelguard/swingarm, but still have the triangle of daylight. Going to have to experiment with this foot positioning and see what it feels like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From my experience the main thing is that the ball of your foot is on the pegs to aid in transitioning from one side to the other through the turns and the ability to grip the tank with your thighs. Heel position is personal preference in my opinion. Squeezing the tank with your thighs naturally takes pressure off your heals and squeezing your heels to the bike relaxes your thighs. Focusing on both Seems unnatural like you said. I would focus on body position and let your heels do what they do naturally.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
I'll comment more later but balls of your feet is the best starting position to keep from inadvertently hitting the brake or shifter while on track. Advanced....i.e. AMA riders are using the arches of their feet and moving the inside foot back to the ball for extra ground clearance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
O.P. are you talking about the inside or outside foot?

The outside foot is the one that I put on the ball and rest the heel against the guard... I'm actually pressing up with my calf muscle on the outside foot to lock my knee under the tank lip. Once I do that, it pretty much locks me onto the bike and I can let go of the bars.

My inside foot is also on the ball area, but as the Hayden and Paris videos show, the heel flops around a bit depending on how much or little the knee is dragging.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
my outside peg is always in the middle of my foot. why ? so you can shift, use the brake, or push on the peg, and it's more comfortable. When you stand the bike up, your feet will need to have the peg in the middle to shift or use the rear brake anyway..
My opinion is only move the inside foot back as you set up for the turn.

look at a good variety of roadrace photos. In many, you will see the outside peg in the middle of the foot. Occasionally you can find a rider that always keeps the foot back, but that gets uncomfortable and is more work if you ask me..

·
Registered
61 Posts
my outside peg is always in the middle of my foot. why ? so you can shift, use the brake, or push on the peg, and it's more comfortable. When you stand the bike up, your feet will need to have the peg in the middle to shift or use the rear brake anyway..
I agree that many top riders do this... I watch them on TV and I tried to duplicate, but I guess I've been doing it on the balls of my feet for too long.

Also, If I leave my outside foot in the middle, I can't seem to get any leverage to lock my outside knee into the tank. Being only 5'8" might have something to do with it but I need to be on the ball of my foot to be able to press up enough to lock in.

I don't use rear brake so my right foot really never leaves the ball of my feet. (yes, I tried using rear brake too, but just couldn't get it all coordinated) :mad:

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Its subjective. Really whatever makes you comfortable and is functional is fine.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Its subjective. Really whatever makes you comfortable and is functional is fine.
Not quite, at higher levels it becomes necessary to use rear brake and/or catch shifts mid corner.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Not quite, at higher levels it becomes necessary to use rear brake and/or catch shifts mid corner.
That's what I mean by functional. If you have little feet you can stay on the arch and brake/shift. I have big feet so I have to stay on the ball or my feet stick to far out. So to say ball is better than the arch isn't true for everyone

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
lol... I wouldnt really base my riding style on people who run mid pack or better at the club expert & ama level. All those vids feature folks who have a ton of seat time.

I found that practicing on a mini bike helped me find a comfortable "foot" position without much risk of high speed injury.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
which suprises me more since I would be totally comfortable with full transmission control on the handlebars versus rowing a shift lever.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I agree that many top riders do this... I watch them on TV and I tried to duplicate, but I guess I've been doing it on the balls of my feet for too long.

Also, If I leave my outside foot in the middle, I can't seem to get any leverage to lock my outside knee into the tank. Being only 5'8" might have something to do with it but I need to be on the ball of my foot to be able to press up enough to lock in.

I don't use rear brake so my right foot really never leaves the ball of my feet. (yes, I tried using rear brake too, but just couldn't get it all coordinated) :mad:
my first few track days i tried riding only on the balls of my feet.. it was way tiring. I'm barely 5'8".. on days when gravity is low.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea sorry guys, was talking about the inside foot. I just need more seat time and just need to see what works.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
My opinion is only move the inside foot back as you set up for the turn.

look at a good variety of roadrace photos. In many, you will see the outside peg in the middle of the foot. Occasionally you can find a rider that always keeps the foot back, but that gets uncomfortable and is more work if you ask me..
Hmm...I have never even tried to use the rear brake. This may be something I need to try/practice. Can you give a short expanation on when and how to use it without crashing? :D

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Hmm...I have never even tried to use the rear brake. This may be something I need to try/practice. Can you give a short expanation on when and how to use it without crashing? :D
why would you crash using it ? you use the front brake, it's more powerful, with 2 much larger rotors.. :)
I'm not saying you have to use it. But in regard to keeping the peg in the middle of the foot when possible, your calf muscles are much smaller than your thigh muscles. Shifting back and forth having to work the calf muscles will wear you out faster than having the peg in the middle of the peg whenever possible. You have to shift, so the peg in the middle of the foot is a must on the left side except when tipping into a left turn.

That said, a rear brake is, well.. more brake. You don't always brake straight up and down. When you brake with the bike 100% upright, you can rock the front brake hard enough to lift the rear of the bike, rear brake isn't as functional at that point, BUT, as you tip in with the rear brake applied a bit, it helps turn the bike and slow it down.
It's just something you could experiment with and get more comfortable using. I can't help myself being on a dirt bike 20 hours a month.. i use the rear brake a fair amount, but not as much as some.

here is a good thread on rear brake. with some video.. http://www.jenningsgp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1623

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Makes sense. I am running in "A" group and I watched a couple of guys (Dave Grey and Ryan Kerr) damn near go in side ways. I couldn't believe it...it was pretty sweet.:flex:

Right now I am all front brake and I know what you mean about the wheel in the air and bouncing around. I tend to be somewhat of a late braker and this may be able to help me during tip in scrub some more speed off. I will give it a try.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts