Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
WHen I got my new 6, I felt the same way. The bike was SOOO smooth through the corners... I found myself going nearly twice as fast in some bends as I used to on my GPz1100.

Now I have to admit I was pretty underwhelmed with the power of the 6, but once I got her in her element... it was unbelievable. She tracks over rough pavement better than any streetbike I have ever ridden... even at illegal speeds.

That is what prompted me to look at track riding exclusively. There is just too much risk in riding fast enough to truly enjoy the R6 on the street. Yea, I went down at the track... and it will be expensive to fix the damage. But I was almost completely uninjured. If I would have been riding at the same level on the street... I would probably be dead.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
loki1313 said:
just another reason to buy an R6. cause it is and always will be the best bike. :worship

·
Registered
283 Posts
You've all heard this one

The R6 can kill you
The R1 wants to kill you

The other day when getting my new tyre I told my dealer I would probably trade in the 6 for an '04' R1 at the end of the year. He told my i'd be a fool. He had ridden both and hands down on the street the r6 is faster and more fun to ride. The new R1 is apparently scary. This from a guy that would have made a good commision from the sale in 9 months. I might just keep this one till the new R6 is out now. Im hoping for 130+ps and 250 dimensions. Who'd need an R1 then. Just the posers you'd pass in the twisties.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was going to trade later this year for an R1 but now :?: :?: :?: :?:

I think the R6 will stay :cheers

:worship

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
river said:
I was going to trade later this year for an R1 but now :?: :?: :?: :?:

I think the R6 will stay :cheers

me too

·
Registered
836 Posts
That is funny... 'cause I was going to trade my 6 in on a FJR-1300 and buy an older race bike....

now my R6 is going to be the racebike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Any Bike That will let me do 80 Mph on a a hair pin turn and make me think I'm doing 50.... Hell I'll go and buy one right now.. LOL :hammer

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya know, most of my friends ride bigger bikes than me. They tell me to get a literbike, that I am a really good rider and the 6 is too small for my skills...

I used to believe them, but now Im startin to think that the R6 has made me into such a good rider so quickly.

I know I am not anywhere near the limits of the bike skills-wise (not sure if I can ever be ), AND I am usuallly waiting for all those literbike guys when we ride anyway :twisted:

VERDICT:

Ill keep the R6 for a while...

Again with the...

·
Registered
102 Posts
i've just sold my 175bhp monster and bought my wee standard 2003 6 and i'm doin some mods on it to make it go a bit better and corner a tad better and i'm hoping to have a bike that will lap as fast as the monster i just sold......... there is far more fun to be had on a smaller bike riding on the roads like you guys......... if i still did i would most probably have a sweet little 250 like a NSR smart card thing or equivalent they are so much good fun! anyone who rides big bikes are doin so cos they enjoy the fact that there mates think they are more macho etc.....

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
dazzler said:
if i still did i would most probably have a sweet little 250 like a NSR smart card thing or equivalent they are so much good fun!
ya, one of those would be bad ass. seen a couple of vids of people on those racing on tracks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I rode test rode the R1 and the R6 back to back and I chose the 6. I have rode a gixxer 1000 and other radical bikes but the R1 is way more than I need. i bought the 6 to become a better rider and I dont regret it at all. I think the 6 is more comfy and its just a sweet overall kickass bike. I think the 03 R6 is better looking than the R1 but I love the looks of the 04 R1. Maybe when I get my next bike in about 4 years I'll get a literbike and they are only going to get better as the years go on. BTW the 6 is the most fun bike I have ever been on and I have a good time evertime I go out and thats what it's all about :mrgreen:

·
Registered
69 Posts
wow i didn;t think it was a better bike than the r1?
i wanted one coz it is a smaller cc for me to learn on!

kick ass that it is a better bike i will have a ball when i get my 6!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The R1 is a great bike dont get me wrong, but it cant do a lot of the things an R6 can do (at least with the same level of confidence)

As the article says, with an R1 you always feel like you have to hold back because "R1s want to kill you"

The R6 you can blast to its limits and as long as you are confident and know you can handle it, the bike will love you for it!!

Now dont take this to mean that you can just go buy an r6 for your first bike and ride like Rossi on it. You need to learn HOW to ride before you can start to ride hard on it.

Buy one practicepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepractice, and your skills will SLOWLY approach the limits of the bike

With the R1, you will never get close to its limits...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It's just that the 6 you can run hard through and out of corners where the 1 you have to be a lot more refined in throttle control.

Both bikes are fast, just that the 1 you have to be a much better rider to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts