Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shazzam!
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to ride in Japan, so I bought a Japanese Arai RX-7. Love the helmet dearly, but it's time to buy a new one. They're so expensive here in the US, but I'm going back on vacation next month.

Do I go for another foreign helmet (Snell and JIS, but not DOT) or do I suck it up and spend an extra $200 for a DOT sticker?

I'm really wondering if I can pass tech on a track if I don't have a DOT helmet.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
i believe that snell rating is enough to pass most inspections, but i may be wrong

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
My one doesnt have any of the marks you list.
Snell and JIS, DOT.

My agv has a acu gold sticker, E1 mark also.
I cant imagine you would have a problem using a foreign helmet for a usa trackday, especialy a top spec Arai.

·
Shazzam!
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys! It's kinda what i figured.

John UK, what kind of AGV do you have? I was looking at getting a stealth, just to get a more-budget friendly helmet.

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
Mines the ti tech.
My brother has a stealth, rates it highly, the only thing to watch with agv is wind noise.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

That could be worth a read, our government has done tests with some helmets, not all are covered.
But just be aware thats for helmets sold for the uk market.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
you will pass tech just fine w/ a foreign market Arai.
they are mainly looking for the cheap $50 helmets that dont have any type of safety rating.
i use my ECE approved Shark w/ no problems.

·
Shazzam!
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much cheaper are arai's in japan?
Well I got a White RX7 for 360 USD 2 years ago. I'll get a figure you for you in the next day or so on the current price. It might be close to the same now because they are already selling the RR5 model (the American Corsair is the RR4).

Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
998 Posts
It needs to be DOT approved. You can fix it with a 50 cent sticker:D. Most motorcycle shops sell them. Although it's not legal here because it wasn't tested here, no one will know with the sticker on it.

·
I love German beer.
72 Posts
It needs to be DOT approved. You can fix it with a 50 cent sticker:D. Most motorcycle shops sell them. Although it's not legal here because it wasn't tested here, no one will know with the sticker on it.
Not to bust balls or anything, but in my mind I thought snell was better than DOT so wouldn't that cancel the DOT mark out?

·
Shazzam!
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to bust balls or anything, but in my mind I thought snell was better than DOT so wouldn't that cancel the DOT mark out?
According to my County Sheriff's office, no. However, when I got pulled over, the officer didn't check my helmet.

·
I love German beer.
72 Posts
According to my County Sheriff's office, no. However, when I got pulled over, the officer didn't check my helmet.
I see. So they probably just look at your helmet and if it looks expensive they just shrug it off. Or they just don't care.

·
Registered
998 Posts
SNELL is 10 times better than DOT ratings. No it still needs the DOT approval. There is no law that a helmet has to be SNELL rated in the U.S., there is however one that requires it to be Department Of Transportation approved. Since it is a foreign helmet, it would not be DOT approved even if they sell the same model here. Every SNELL street helmet you see in the U.S carries the DOT approval which is required. That's why I said get a 50 cent sticker. I know it sounds weird, but thats how the law works. A SNELL rating does not make it DOT approved in the U.S. Try telling a trooper about how much better the SNELL rating is, he only gives a shit if it's DOT approved. It also needs an exterior sticker on the back to be legal.

·
I love German beer.
72 Posts
This country has some F*!&ed up laws but it's still great. Only here can someone break into your house trying to steal shit, get locked in the garage for 5 days living off of dog food, then sue you and win because you didn't have a way of easily exiting the house. But hey I agree with the sticker idea. Like a cop is going to be able to tell the difference at a quick glance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts