Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a ride the other day I noticed oil sitting at the bottom of my front fork. There wasn't enough to fill a cup or anything, just enough to get on your finger and see that the oil was coming out. Anyone know of anything special I should try before I get the forks rebuilt? Any configurations/adjustments I should try? Also how hard are these things to rebuild? Do they require any special tools, or should I just let a suspension expert do it?

·
where da shrooms at?
2,708 Posts
have someone who knows suspension do it for you. you do need some special tools. and you dont want the spring taking your head off when it pops out. all you probably need are new fork seals, there like 12 bucks. you can have the fork resealed by itself. but you should do them both at the same time. which will cost more. if your really broke, just do the fork thats leaking.

also you can take the forks off the bike then take them to a shop and that will save you money. if the shop takes the forks off the bike and then they have to reseal them. you will be charged alot more.

so fork seals are cheap, but you still have to pay for labor.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i have about $250 in Racetech fork tools, u need about 4-5 specialty tools for modern inverted cartridge forks.
u also need a service manual, stands, and regular tools and torque wrench.

its worth it to have the stuff, i do all my own suspension rebuilds and tuning, as well as my friends.

·
Registered
322 Posts
is the stock oil weight good for if you do 90% street riding or do you reccomend going with a higher weight?

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
like the other guys said, you need to change your fork seals. i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, its one of those things: If you have to ask how, don't bother. it does require quite a few custom tools from racetech or other companies. it is not your simple oil change. if you bring the forks (off the bike) to a local mechanic it will most likely cost 100 bucks or so, including oil.

one thing you should definetly do is take down notes on all your suspension setting's before you start taking the forks off. they will get changed when the fork oil is done. so make sure to write down how many clicks of each you have set, so when you put everything back on you can set the suspension back to what it was. now, it will need a little bit of tweaking b/c the oil is new and fresh so it works better and you might back out some settings by a click.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
good advice devil^
i have a notebook of suspension settings ive been working on.

also watch out for oil saturating the brake pads, if oil touches them, i would highly recommend replacing them.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
good advice devil^
i have a notebook of suspension settings ive been working on.

also watch out for oil saturating the brake pads, if oil touches them, i would highly recommend replacing them.
I do some suspension stuff, and I have to agree with you on the notebook being the single best tool.

For the original poster: Please get that fixed. Leaking oil can quickly become a difference in damping rates and instability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had them resealed and finally went out and rode it the other day. Needless to say DAMN IT WAS COLD!!! But at least they didn't leak.

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
I had them resealed and finally went out and rode it the other day. Needless to say DAMN IT WAS COLD!!! But at least they didn't leak.
I have to get mine done over this winter. How much did it cost you? Did you buy the seals and oil seperate and bring the forks to the place that did it? or drop off the whole bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my brothers friends dad to them for me. I bought the stuff my self. The only thing that sucks is that yamaha 'requires' a specific oil ( Suspension 01) which was $30 for a quart. But the seals were like 20 bucks. I was quoted $75 bucks to do them if I took the forks off, $100 if they took the forks off. Like I said though I took them off and gave them to my brothers friends dad and he did them for me for free.

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
I had my brothers friends dad to them for me. I bought the stuff my self. The only thing that sucks is that yamaha 'requires' a specific oil ( Suspension 01) which was $30 for a quart. But the seals were like 20 bucks. I was quoted $75 bucks to do them if I took the forks off, $100 if they took the forks off. Like I said though I took them off and gave them to my brothers friends dad and he did them for me for free.
thanks man. I have to replace my top clamp so i might as well just take them off. $75 isn't too bad but we'll see how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts