Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fork seal leaked. Not sure if oil got on my pads or not. Anybody know of a way to test it out? Some google searching recommends heating them up with a torch, and if it starts to smoke, it has been contaminated. My experience with torches is that everything smokes with enough heat.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not going to even attempt to clean them if they got oil on them. Not worth the risk, but it would be nice to know if oil did get on them or not. They don't look any different than the other side that didn't have a leak... but the oil soaks in so i'm not sure if there is a visual difference that would show up

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm not going to even attempt to clean them if they got oil on them. Not worth the risk, but it would be nice to know if oil did get on them or not. They don't look any different than the other side that didn't have a leak... but the oil soaks in so i'm not sure if there is a visual difference that would show up
Dude, if you dont want to risk it then get a new set of pads. I would think you can easily see or feel if oil got on them. I was assuming you didnt ride while the oil leaked. BTW if oil did leak rotors get stuff embedded too. I usually sand my rotors every now and then with 220 grit

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, if you dont want to risk it then get a new set of pads. I would think you can easily see or feel if oil got on them. I was assuming you didnt ride while the oil leaked. BTW if oil did leak rotors get stuff embedded too. I usually sand my rotors every now and then with 220 grit
I haven't ridden it since March when I wrecked and broke myself, which caused the seal to leak. Its been sitting there, moved around a few times, and now i'm getting it all back together to get back on the track.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I haven't ridden it since March when I wrecked and broke myself, which caused the seal to leak. Its been sitting there, moved around a few times, and now i'm getting it all back together to get back on the track.
I personally doubt you got any oil on the pads man. Usually it drips straight down and may fall on the rotor rather then the pads. Its when riding with a leaking fork it will fly on the pads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts