Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Canadian version
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a suitable substitute for the ohlins oil recommended for my 06.
Seems to be pretty expensive imo.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
I'm using Maxima 5 wt in all my builds that involve new valves. As an OEM replacement I'd use the 2.5 wt.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
dan, you're recommending the maxima 2.5wt for a "refresh of the stockers?" (i just wanna make sure i understand you right, before i start the "internet shopping")

·
Will work for track time
19,491 Posts

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
dan, you're recommending the maxima 2.5wt for a "refresh of the stockers?" (i just wanna make sure i understand you right, before i start the "internet shopping")
I've talked with Yamaha and the oil they use is a 0 wt oil. Finding one of those is pretty tough outside the Yamaha oil made by Ohlins. Running 5 wt oil on stock valving can be a bit harsh or take the damping curve outside the spring's curve. So I use a 2.5 in rear cases. I have used Red Line's "Like Water" suspension oil once before with no complaints (young lady with an R1 that weighed like 125 and was a little height challenged).

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
isn't yamaha's called "01"?
maxima said their 5wt is = to 01.

Racing fork fluid 5wt is the same viscosity fluid as 01, SS7, or std.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
now i'm more confused. i just need to know what kinda oil to buy online when it's time to refresh my forks. haha.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,242 Posts

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
857 Posts
HEy what yall think about "Bike Master" Forks Seal Kit? 2 seals and 2 dust seals for 26$ rather then OEM for $70? Think the quality can be that much different?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,242 Posts
HEy what yall think about "Bike Master" Forks Seal Kit? 2 seals and 2 dust seals for 26$ rather then OEM for $70? Think the quality can be that much different?
I used to get about a 50% leak rate on aftermarket seals within the first few miles. I stopped even trying them. Stick with the OEM. Re-doing the job is a PITA.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
where the hell are you buying parts from that the seals are $70?

mine were like $13 each at a yamaha dealer. you don't need new dust seals.
if you don't want leaky seals pack the lip with seal grease. well worth the extra $5

it will lube the seal and keep it from drying and leaking.

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
857 Posts
where the hell are you buying parts from that the seals are $70?

mine were like $13 each at a yamaha dealer. you don't need new dust seals.
if you don't want leaky seals pack the lip with seal grease. well worth the extra $5

it will lube the seal and keep it from drying and leaking.
yea i found that out today...Dust seals isnt needed unless its broken i guess. But the yamaha dealer here was charging 16$ for Oil seal and 17$ for dust seals. That grease thing sounds good.I rather just add that now then have to rip it out and do it again right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts