Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

when doing the fork seal replacement, the service manual says you need a damper rod holder. The one they reference looks to no longer be available. i've got a 2006 R6 what do you all recommend for the damper rod holder?

the traxxion fork kit looks decent enough for the other tools (along with the motion pro fork seal driver).

·
Track junkie wanna be
124 Posts
I used the traxxion kit when I did mine along with some other stuff I bought from Race Tech. It seemed to do the job it was intended for. No complaints here.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
What's the pricing for the kit and the tools? is it monetarily more efficient to just buy the kit rather than just have a shop do it? I need to do mine soon and am weighing the option of doing it myself with no experience changing fork seals versus taking it to a shop.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
If they are standard forks(non inverted) you can just use an impact on the bolt on the bottom of the forks(the big allen head bolt) If they are inverted i have no clue if the impact will work. But i did my fork seals on my 99 without any special tools aside from a motion pro seal driver and a measuring beaker.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
If they are standard forks(non inverted) you can just use an impact on the bolt on the bottom of the forks(the big allen head bolt) If they are inverted i have no clue if the impact will work. But i did my fork seals on my 99 without any special tools aside from a motion pro seal driver and a measuring beaker.
Total cost to me was $80. If i didnt buy the seal driver it would have cost me $40 but i recommend the seal driver. Tons easier and wont ruin the seal.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
You don't need a damper rod holder to change the seals because you can leave the damping cartridge attached to the lower section.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info everyone. I decided to be lazy this time. I called around to a few shops today and did some research online. PS shops in MA are trying to rip everyone off. I finally found what seems to be a good shop in NH (45 min away but i don't mind the drive). MOMS (motorcycles of manchester). I'm going to bring my bike to them. I talked with their service department today, only 170 for labor + the cost of seals (that is almost $300 less then what shops in MA wanted).

and to top it off MOMS service department were actually willing to talk with me on the phone about other idle issues i have been having and give me actual advise.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
All you "need" in my opinion to do the seals and oil are:

• spring compressor or other means of compressing springs
  • seal driver or other means of properly seating the seals
  • oil level tool or other means of accurately measuring the oil level

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
He specified in the OP that it's a 2006, so USD forks.

You don't need a damper rod holder to change the seals because you can leave the damping cartridge attached to the lower section.
He's not talking about a cartridge holding tool. He's talking about a damping rod holder, which is just a rod with a female threaded end that threads on to the damper rod. It's used to stroke the damper rod to bleed the air out when you pour in the new oil and also fish the rod back up after you re-install the fork spring. You can easily make one by just partially threading a nut onto a long bold and keeping it in place with red locktite, jb weld, super glue, etc. But don't bother because it's not really necessary.

All you "need" in my opinion to do the seals and oil are:

• spring compressor or other means of compressing springs
  • seal driver or other means of properly seating the seals
  • oil level tool or other means of accurately measuring the oil level
Agreed, that's all I use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts