Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 5eb

during a strip down and rebuild i handed my forks to my mechanic and asked that he re-build them. he phoned me and said that the rebound adjusters were both seized (odd? especially both?) so should he have a right go at them or just leave them? i said to leave them seeing as i've never played with a suspension setting in my life and the forks seemed ok before removal just a bit tired feeling.

anyways, rebuilt they were with original springs and new oil and when re-fitted they both leak out of the rebound adjustments screws. not just a little bit either - the left fork throws out oil like it was designed to do so!

so qeustions - how does the rebound valve come out? gentle taps with an impact driver shift it a little way but the screws are starting to muller and i am unsure how much bashing the fork lowers will take.

what's hapened? obviously they were disturbed by initial attempts to adjust them but to leak like this something's gone well wrong surely?

what do i need to replace if they should come out?

any help muchly appreciated.

bludclot.

p.s. why is this site soooo slow?

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
They could have been adjusted beyond the click stop. You should not force it after the last click.
This sounds serious enough to warrant a trip to the suspension shop. I would not mess with it myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its not a valve its just a rod thast goes all the way throught the forks (in two parts) it presses on a spring and the rebound needle. You just need to get the cap off and screw out the top peice in the cap and replace the oring. Sounds easy but this is a job for a suspension shop. If you have no idea what you are doing. Its very easy to damage the rebound needle at the bottom of the fork if you do this wrong.

MM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks marty. i was beginning to think that this forum was no help at all - confidence re-established!

ended up sealing both rebound screws with araldite and re-painting the fork lowers. the rebound screws showed absolutely no inclination to turn at all, let alone come out.

paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts