Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2007 R6 that someone wants to trade for my dirtbike which I still owe $4500 on.. The R6 has 30k miles on it, the guy says he does all the maintenance work and checks everything after each ride idk how true that is.. The bike has a Leo Vince slip on, adjustable shorty levers, zero gravity windscreen, stomp grip traction kit, smog block off plates, bauce racing RCI flash, new tires, chain, and sprocket.. What does everyone think.. I haven't went and looked at it yet but he sent me a pic.. Looks good tho lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ask for any documentation or receipts from maintenance. At that mileage I would be sure to get some sort of confirmation that the valves were done. If it's a straight trade I would say you wouldn't make out on the deal unless he out cash on top. Depends on the market area but in my area a 07 with 30k and standard mods would do ~$3500. You can make anything look good in a photo. If interested take the time to see the bike in person before starting negotiations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks I figured for 30k.. I ain't going to do it.. I'm going to commute with it and 30k miles is a lot.. Thanks for the answer bud!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Is your dirtbike actually worth $4500? Hard to know if the guy is offering a fair trade based just off what you owe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea it has less then 20hrs on it. Haven't even wore out the rear tire yet.. Took it in to trade it off for a utv and they was going to give me $4500 on it which is what I was asking for to sell it.. So I figure it's worth that much?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea idk I'm still thinking bout it.. I mean be a good bike just in case I lay it over.. And I wouldn't have the payments anymore if my bank will allow for the trade..

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Yea idk I'm still thinking bout it.. I mean be a good bike just in case I lay it over.. And I wouldn't have the payments anymore if my bank will allow for the trade..
How does that work?

You owe the bank $4500 and your dirtbike is collateral on the loan. If the other guy gets the dirtbike, and you get the R6, you still owe the bank $4500.

·
Registered
507 Posts
How does that work?

You owe the bank $4500 and your dirtbike is collateral on the loan. If the other guy gets the dirtbike, and you get the R6, you still owe the bank $4500.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing? Do they just put a lien on the r6 instead. I think it may be a little more difficult than one would think. But who knows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Idk.. Thought maybe they would put it all in his name or something? Idk never done it before.. Now I probably sound stupid for saying it now lol..

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
No my friend, you would need to sign over the title (if you have it--varies by state) to the new dirtbike owner. The lien remains in your name.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Refinancing and offering the R6 as new collateral would likely be the only way to swing this, you'll still have the payment though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh well glade Yall are here then lol i didn't know.. owell probably wasn't a good deal anyways.. Thanks! Sorry if I wasted anyone's time!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yeah, I highly doubt any of this lien shenanigans are feasible. The only way to do it is to pay off the loan so you get the title lien-free, then you can sign the title over.

You could try to get a personal loan for $4500 and use that to pay off the dirtbike I guess.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I would say if you still owe $4500 on any dirt bike, you have less than average financial intelligence and you should consult with anyone before you fvuck yourself over more than you already have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well high roller I guess that's your opinion.. But the reason why I went and bought a new 2013 dirtbike was cause I didn't want to spend $1000 or so dollars on a used yz250 2-stroke that someone has already riden the [email protected] out off and needed to be rebuild or has been rebuild more then once.. So I went and bought a new one.. Still love it just want a street bike.. Yea I gotta admit I didn't know if me trading it and signing anything over would work or not.. So quit being a douchebag..

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Pay off your bike first(or sell it for enough to pay off the loan and have the buyer go with you to get the lien release), and then don't take out loans on toys. It is never a good idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
But the reason why I went and bought a new 2013 dirtbike was cause I didn't want to spend $1000 or so dollars on a used yz250 2-stroke that someone has already riden the [email protected] out off and needed to be rebuild or has been rebuild more then once..
Your logic is flawed. Do you not realize that a dirtbike motor needs to be rebuilt every so often along with routine valve checks? They require much more maintenance than a street bike. 2 stroke maintenance is pretty easy and cheap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts