Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was washing my bike today and found the following bolt stuck between the upper fairing and the black frame part. It seems to be an M4/M5 and the bolt is 15mm long (10mm long thread)

Its dark right now but will have a closer look tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions as to where I should be looking please let me know. I think it has come out from vibration due to incorrectly tightened etc.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No those are fine.

On the head of the bolt it says 10.9 and either 05609 or 60950 i believe

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw were you referring to these two bolts? they are there.

Attachments

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
10.9 is the grade rating of the cap screw(technically speaking they are called socket head cap screws)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10.9 is the grade rating of the cap screw(technically speaking they are called socket head cap screws)
Where does this cap screw go bro? And is there anything else with the same rating?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I was referring to the one's on the SIDE of the gas tank. They will be below the Yamaha logo's. On the 3rd gens they are covered up by the black plastic pieces that connect to the tank.
thanks i'll look there tomorrow

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Where does this cap screw go bro? And is there anything else with the same rating?
I have a 3rd gen so I don't know what is the same and whats different on our bikes. Check the tank side bolts if you have those. I've found a lot of hardware on my bike less then tight when working on it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at this pic I dont believe I have any tank side bolts?

Is there anywhere I can look at the grade ratings of the screws/bolts on my bike so I can narrow it down to what it might be?

Attachments

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
The only other suggestion I can make is take the measurements of the cap screw and look through the parts breakdown description for that size cap screw. Might take awhile but it'll help narrow down possibilities for you.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Seems like this happens when i take my fairings off. Always takes like an hour to find where those last 2 plastic rivets go.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
that looks like the little one that goes in the clip-on(handle bar) to the upper tripple clamp.
or one of the gas cap screws. check the one under the cap too.
the only bolts for the 2nd gen tank is a 10mm at the seat attachment and the two up top by the steering head.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that looks like the little one that goes in the clip-on(handle bar) to the upper tripple clamp.
or one of the gas cap screws. check the one under the cap too.
the only bolts for the 2nd gen tank is a 10mm at the seat attachment and the two up top by the steering head.
Gas cap screws are red and all there. I'll check under the cap tomorrow.

Where should I be looking on the handle bar?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some pics with focus points of where I looked. Looked around the handle bars, underneath full cap, underneath fuel tank and near where the horn is too.

All these areas seem to be fine to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bump. So what do you guys think? Shall I just forget about it?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the bike in Jan and it came with the red gas cap screws. Its a strong possibility your suggestion is true because there were a number of other things the previous owner couldn't be bothered to 'find' which I sorted out myself.

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
It could be a few things. Did you check the bolts that hold your seat down, bolts that mount the rear stock turn signals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts