Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think? Is it ok for a person who has never rode a street bike to buy an r6 or should they stick with a smaller bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
it was older but I started out on a 600 and I went from the old FZR600 to a 2006 R6. The low end is real easy to get used to and easy to ride. When you get more comfortable then you can push it more and she will keep askin for more so hold on. just don't ride outside your limits and whern your ready she will do 150 easy

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
its really not up to any of us. the best thing you can do is take the MSF course and ride responsibly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took the course and agree it is the best thing for you to get comfortable on a bike they really make you work the bike before they let you ride

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought my r6 brand new in 04 and never rode anything. I kept the rpms low, im talkin 6th gear doing 50mph, till i got use to riding. These bikes have no power at low rpm's! I want to sell my bike to a buddy but i dont want him to get hurt. He plans on buying a brand new bike and I want to sell him mine so i can get a new one! what would you recommend he buys if you think the r6 is too much! I personally dont think an r6 is too much and its a bike he can live with for the next 4 or five years hes paying on it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think it is always better to start with a smaller bike. That being said I started on a 600, and it worked out fine. As the 13 said above. Take the MSF course.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think its funny how everyone says the msf class is good! You ride in a parking lot at 20mph!!! I took the class and it was a joke!! I had a friend take it and he was still afraid to go out on the street, but he had his license!?!?!?!? WTF is that! Dont get me wrong good class, teaches you the basics, but its an entire new ball game around cars and traffic! So the R6 is not good for someone to learn on??? cause i did!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I always think its best to start out on the dirt when possible,falling off is such much better for your body and your wallet, if not a bike that physically feels "easier" to hold upright and for a better term to manage the weight is fine no matter the engine size... I say this because you handle the power in the right wrist..thats just me..

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
well the course in canada is different. its 6 days and its very very extensive. im not sure what its like down in the US.

·
BACK
384 Posts
i really disrespect...but still respect your opinions if you want a bike that can do what it can and if your askin about you sure have the commin sense to me i started out on an r6 about 7 months ago and have pt about 8000 miles on my bike just remember ur not good at riding yet take it easy AND girls love a guy on a bike no matter how fast your going lol.......just take it easy and wear gear and no one in real life will give u shit....u might get shit on here but cmon its ur money and if u think u can do it u can do go buy a pos just to learn save ur money and buy a pog (piece of grand)LOL:nocontrol

·
Registered
59 Posts
well the course in canada is different. its 6 days and its very very extensive. im not sure what its like down in the US.
6 days that's awesome:toocool:,I wish they had that option in the US. Down here it's 2 days from like 8am to 5pm and its pretty basic,at least here in Oklahoma.

I think it depends on how much the person can handle.I started on the r6 I have now and took it easy,and I think that has worked out really good for me,and I did take the MSF course.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i started on an 04 R6 and put 23k miles on it in a year and a half before it got wrecked (do to an old guy pullin out in front of me) i also took the course and must say that even though it is ridiciously easy it has saved my but more than once...i now have an 06 with 28k miles on it and still goin strong (everyone says upgrade to a bigger bike but im happy with my 6) now if you can resist the temptation to twist your wrist and take your time a 600 is ok. i would also have to say it would be a little easier to learn on somethin new cause you will take better care of it do to the fact that it is brand new and you got the whole break in period (but thats a different topic) it just comes down to what type of person you are...carless i just wants a bike just to fit in and feel better about themselves or the one that want to enjoy life and the freedom of 2 wheels

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
I agree with whoever said ride the bike in the dirt first. I live on dirt roads and it was perfect for teaching me.

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
any bike can be a good starter bike, long as your responsible and "don't" go above your limits. i have 2 good friends who started in an r1, they never looked back since then.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
any bike can be a good starter bike, long as your responsible and "don't" go above your limits. i have 2 good friends who started in an r1, they never looked back since then.
Nice bike bro!!! Thanks for the comment it makes me feel a bit better about selling my bike to a new rider! Now that i think about it my one buddy started on an R1

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
If a person wants a R6 for a first bike, I would hope they take the MSF course and then do a few track days. It can be a bit more bike than some people realize.

·
Registered
185 Posts
my 01 r6 is my first bike ever. All i have driven are fourwheelers. I am not a squid, use all my gear, be responsible, and took the MSF course. I only push myself to the limits when i know im ready. One step at a time bro.

·
08 R6 SuperStreet
179 Posts
well by your comment id say tell him to get smaller since he will kill himself being bored :popcorn:

but I took the MSF and its true i learned so many things doing 20mph ....... that carry over to 90mph
My first ever bike was an r6 and maybe its because im older but i have respected what ive learned.

The other hand my friend that was bored and didnt want to take the course laid down his bike twice the first night. yea he has now signed up for the course. Its like military boot camp you hate it, it sucks, but you learn alot mentally that will save your life later.

So if you know your riding a stick of metal from hell and respect that he will be fine on a 600. now the new kids on Busa HAHA

1 - 20 of 33 Posts