Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a frame slider off of ebay and the material looked really good on the internet and I just received them and they're made of plastic or as the seller called them "High-Density Delrin" they do feel strong but not strong enough to hold a crash, feels like they would break? Is this something I should worry about or are most sliders plastic? I was thinking they would be made out of some type of metal. My second question is, I also got some bar ends which are made out of aluminum for a 04 r6 and they don't fit it looks like i might have to take a peice out of the handle bar/bar end in order for them to fit? Does anyone know how I can get this to work? Here is a link to the bar ends http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270240962170#ebayphotohosting

·
FTW
83 Posts
Delrin is just a stronger form of abs plastic. The composition involves added carbon, less oil, etc etc. Hopefully they have some sort of aluminum insert or some reinforcement... I don't think a solid block of delrin would help too much.
Post some pictures...

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Most sliders are delrin, some are aluminum.I think delrin being "softer" than aluminum would give just slightly upon impact thereby absorbing some of the abuse.Where aluminum would'nt give near as much.Which in turn would transfer more of the impact to your bike/frame.Stick with delrin, in other words.
As for the bar ends.Have you tried to remove yours, because if they are anything like my 05 bar ends.Those should fit.The bar ends on my 05 are one piece, so there is no bolt to undo first.The bar end/threads are one solid piece & the threaded section is a big as the ones in the link.

·
Eh?
322 Posts
Delrin will slide better over pavement whereas a slider made of metal has a higher chance of digging into the pavement and possibly flip the bike over to the other side. Mine are delrin but the part that attaches to the bike is a metal insert that the bolt goes through.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks, I was worried that I got a cheap set of sliders but that makes me feel better about them. I just installed the frame sliders and they look pretty good and for the bar ends, I got them on I just had to take out some rubber peice that went into the end of the handle bar, the bar ends stick out kind of far but I don't mind as long as it will keep the bike safe incase of a drop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts