Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Team Yammars
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Team Yamaha and I got my first Yamaha r6 bike (2007 R6 Track). I love this R6!! I'm not a new rider, I've had a two different Gixxers in the past and before that, I started with an old Ninja 250.

Anyways, the track bike that I recently purchased uses Sharkskins racing fairing. I want to purchase new frame sliders but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with sharkskinz race fairings and no-cut frame sliders. I'm hoping for frame sliders that come out a decent way to protect my plastics but also one that does not require cutting or other modifications to the fairings. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Don't waste your time with the No-Cut frame sliders. You need it to bolt straight to the frame with no other brackets. It can be the longest frame slider out there to protect your entire side but as soon as that bike goes down in a slide I can almost assure you it will bend or break rendering the slider useless and causing potential frame damage from the twisting. I know nothing about the sharkskinz fairings so not sure on how they fit in that area. But I still think your better off modifying the fairings to fit proper frame sliders. I know woodcraft make quality products and will be going on my bike in the coming weeks.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
I dont prefer no-cuts either for street or track. Weakest point is the bracket that the slider mounts on and eventually has most likelihood to fail, causing damage to the engine mount location.

I use Woodcraft sliders and had to cut the bodywork to mount them. I use this on my R6 track bike and R3 race bike (being built now). They dont stick out too long that they can catch and cause bike to flip.

·
Team Yammars
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, sounds like it a frame slider that is on the frame and I will need to cut. No problems. That's why I'm asking. I'd rather be safe. Thanks for that.

Do you folks have any recommendation on a slider that sticks out a little more than others. I think mine only sticks out barely half an inch. I would like more protection. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
IMO, i would go for the wood craft frame slider. it's solid and if you ever have to replace it, it's easy enough to buy just the replacement puck part instead of the complete set.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Okay, sounds like it a frame slider that is on the frame and I will need to cut. No problems. That's why I'm asking. I'd rather be safe. Thanks for that.

Do you folks have any recommendation on a slider that sticks out a little more than others. I think mine only sticks out barely half an inch. I would like more protection. Thanks
Frame slider is for frame protection, not bodywork protection. The lesser it sticks out, the better :fact

Sharkskinz crashes very well (in most cases) or you can repair them if damaged. Try not to buy ones that stick out a lot or it'll catch and flip the bike

IMO, i would go for the wood craft frame slider. it's solid and if you ever have to replace it, it's easy enough to buy just the replacement puck part instead of the complete set.
^^ +1

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Another vote for Woodcraft. The "race" version sticks out minimally from the body. They aren't body savers. You want the bike streamlined as much as possible to keep it sliding and not flipping or breaking off the slider with the bolt still in the engine.

·
Team Yammars
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I see. I didn't even think about that. Woodcraft it is then. Makes complete sense. Thanks for the recommendation all.

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts
Woodcraft:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1, i've crashed a few bikes on the track and the woodcrafts have done great. easy to replace the puck when u need a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts