Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is everyones opinion on frame sliders? Do they just end up doing more damage?? Also, what's the hottest temp. you let your bike get too?
thx.
Hamlet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
Frame sliders are a must in my opinion. They aren't the end all to damaging your bike if you take a spill, but they certianly will minimize the damage.

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
I'm not saying frame sliders can't do damage to your bike. But for the most part if you lay your bike down they will minimize the damage. I would go with the odds and put a set on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...well as you can see on my thumbnail I already have them on. I just got alarmed seeing the pic. on that one thread. with buddies frame bashed in.

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
Your bike will climb in to the 212 to 220 range when it's warm out. That's not a big issue. Your fan is set to kick on about 212 to 214 range (mine does at 214). They are designed to get pretty hot.

·
My R6 eats with me
742 Posts
Actually they're more apt to save your frame. There is a very popular notion that sliders are there solely to protect your plastics in the event of a drop, or a slow speed low side. While they can, and might, help in this event, that is not their intended purpose. They are ment to keep the bike slidding on the side it fell on in the event of a low side spill. Obviously, they are only effective if the bike remains on the pavement. Should the bike leave the pavement and slide into gravel or grass it may dig in, start to tumble, then all hope is lost. But they may make the difference between a few hundred dollars and a write off.

·
Will work for track time
19,494 Posts
Actually they're more apt to save your frame. There is a very popular notion that sliders are there solely to protect your plastics in the event of a drop, or a slow speed low side. While they can, and might, help in this event, that is not their intended purpose. They are ment to keep the bike slidding on the side it fell on in the event of a low side spill. Obviously, they are only effective if the bike remains on the pavement. Should the bike leave the pavement and slide into gravel or grass it may dig in, start to tumble, then all hope is lost. But they may make the difference between a few hundred dollars and a write off.
Thats what I always thought too!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I installed the frame sliders Yamaha markets, because they are designed with a bracket (left slider) and cut out (right slider) so no drilling of the plastics is needed. They won't protect everything, but say the bike tips over or something, well the front turn signal will be history (I have the stock signals), but it will probably prevent some of the bodywork from damage--or at least minimize damage since bodywork and handlebars, etc., won't get the full brunt of the fall.

In a real crash, uh, probably won't make a lot of difference! But for their limited protection, it's worth having them. And they look cool....

As far as temperature, my fans kick in at 214 F., quickly cool the bike down, and fans turn off. The temp recently went as high as 226 F. when I was in stop-and-go traffic in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley on a 90-degree day--no problems. Cooling systems today are far superior to those of a couple decades ago: Dual fans, and the radiators are much larger (one reason they're curved--more cooling surface area). Assuming system is working OK and the thermostat isn't acting up, plus the coolant is changed on schedule, you'll probably never have problems with overheating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts