Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what exactly a frame slider is.....i can tell from pics and stuff ive been looking at but what is the actual point and what do they do...are they just for looks?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Keep your fairings from being destroyed in the event of a lay-down. Also, in the event of a "slide" they protect the frame, by keeping it from being chewed up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only stupid questions are the ones NOT asked. This is a place full of knowlede, so ask away. The smarter you become the better :cheers

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can save you a lot of embarrassment at a stoplight when you misjudge the the weight.

·
Registered
373 Posts
twistad said:
Can save you a lot of embarrassment at a stoplight when you misjudge the the weight.
Well, they won't save you the embarrassment because people will still laugh at you, but they will at least keep your plastics from getting scratched or cracked.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
Definitely recommend frame sliders for any newbie, including myself. I just installed mine the other day. They will protect the fairings, but if you go down at a descent speed, then expect to have to get new pucks, which are the part of the frame slider that scrapes along the ground.

Obviously, your gonna get damage just about any time you go down, but the frame sliders will help minimize the damage. It's a good investment for any rider IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How much should you expect to pay for a decent set, and how hard are they to install? I've read about having to cut the fairings, are there any that don't require cutting?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I don't think that frame sliders are AT ALL a "newbie" item....and I don't look at anything that "protects" anything as "newbie" items.

Frame sliders are found on MOTOGP bikes.......

·
Registered
373 Posts
yzfmik said:
How much should you expect to pay for a decent set, and how hard are they to install? I've read about having to cut the fairings, are there any that don't require cutting?
Well, you will pay more for a set that doesn't require cutting the fairings, but some of these guys are saying that style won't hold up in a crash. Price really depends on where you get them and the brand you buy. I would say to expect to pay anywhere from $30 up to $100.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
I think I paid about $50 for my vortex frame sliders for my 05. Very easy to install. On the right side, all you have to do is drill a hole through the plastic fairing so the slider can go through it. Very easy and there are write ups on here and r6messagenet. I would go with the ''cut'' sliders. From what I hear, the "no cut" sliders are not as durable and will break much easier than a ''cut'' slider.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Frame sliders will definetly save you in the long run. worth the $50. My friend low-sided his bike on an icy corner last weekend and the only damage he had was a couple of minor scratches to his fairings, busted shifter, scratched stater cover and of course the puck on the end of the frame slider was ground down to almost nothing. (this was also a lesson in the value of leathers and a good helmet!) But, after a $60 shifter, he was back riding with us this weekend and the bike looks fine. I would say that the cut kind are the best too and this web site gives a good how-to:
http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/frameslider.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah i heard the same thing about the no cut sliders and then breaking off the bike. check the group buy forums on MN, theres a frame slider gb going on right now for a killer price, also in that thread are the links to the instructions on how to install them.

edit- heres the link: http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35981

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i just hope some people who just started riding dont get the wrong impression with frame sliders. frame sliders were designed to save the frame and not the fairings. on your basic tip over your fairings shouldnt have any damage. now for the low side, most times your fairings will get screwed up. but thats cheap compared to a bent frame.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts