Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
WTF?
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, do you guys use them for dedicated track bikes? I've heard the pros and cons... considering the damage on my bike after my recent wreck, it looks like the present sliders on there didn't save much and may have made the tank damage worse than it had to be. I'm figuring when these plastics have had enough I may not use sliders next time, they were on when I bought it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It really depends on the type you buy. I had some Shogun so cut sliders on my bike when I wrecked and the left side that had the bracket snapped off. When it came to buying new ones I went with the cut Woodcrafts. They are shorter in length and use metal inserts so they should crash better. In the end you have to realize they aren't there to protect the tank, plastics, or anything else but the frame.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
I dislike frame sliders, cause they can catch and send the bike flipping. Case savers, tank sliders, and swingarm sliders are the best set up imo

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
if you get frame sliders woodcraft makes shorty pucks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yes I use them, but I switched form the no name long pucks to woodcraft.
The woodcraft hug the plastics closer but definitively helped on my last low side

I'm a believer!

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I love my Woodcraft frame sliders and engine cases. Multiple falls and I just replace the slider.

I will say that I'm really impressed with the crashability of WSS and WSBK bikes without sliders and using folding pegs, but they use carbon/kevlar bodywork.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
I dislike frame sliders, cause they can catch and send the bike flipping. Case savers, tank sliders, and swingarm sliders are the best set up imo
Only the longer frame sliders would possibly catch and flip. Like Stef said, go with the short ones or none.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
Ugh need woodcraft's :nono

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
I love my Woodcraft frame sliders and engine cases. Multiple falls and I just replace the slider.

I will say that I'm really impressed with the crashability of WSS and WSBK bikes without sliders and using folding pegs, but they use carbon/kevlar bodywork.
All of this.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
I've had 3 incidents and my bike still looks great and the tank is only chipped. And I bought my Woodcrafts LONG before I was a dealer too. On the 06-07 they come with the long pucks too to help keep the tank off the gound and short ones on the 08+ R6's.

Billy has gone down plenty of times this season and does have some gnarly scratches above the motor mount bolts (where the frame slider base and puck would be).

In 2 of 3 of my incidents, the slider dug into the dirt along with my peg and slowed/stopped the bike quickly.

Jeff Robel who rides for SBTG's AMA team had no sliders on his bike and holes in the bodywork where they were at one point.

In the end the ruling comes down to the fact that every crash is different. I believe in the frame sliders and swingarm sliders and have seen them do wonders

·
Registered
507 Posts
Vortex cut frame sliders..... did wonders for the crashes I had on the F4: 3 crashes = 1 puck replacement and 1 broken brake lever.

No crash test on the R6 yet *knock on wood*, but same cut frame sliders in addition to case savers and tank protectors.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have heard a lot of people talk about frame sliders catching in the dirt and throwing the bike into a tumble. If that were true then wouldn't the handlebars and foot pegs also throw the bike into a tumble? You can't take those off. The way I see it, there is always a chance that frame sliders could cause the bike to tumble in dirt, but there is a much larger chance of doing more damage if you crash without sliders. I keep mine on. I had one crash and I only broke the fairing stay. One time someone crashed right in front of me. I don't think he had sliders on his bike and it flew about 6 feet in the air when he slid into the dirt. When it comes down to it, it is impossible to say whether frame sliders would help or hurt any particular crash. You are taking a chance either way.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
^that is impressive

1 - 20 of 25 Posts