Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are frame sliders worth it if so what brands are good, do you suggest short or long or no cuts vs cuts. I’m not a track rider or a ignorant person who’s going out to try and carve every turn at 120+ on the streets or try and make Mach runs. Just got a nice bike and want to get it prestine, would rather do no cuts due to not feeling comfortable in my skill of precise cutting but will accommodate if needed

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are definitely worth it! Even if you aren't out dragging knees you never know when you will forget your side stand isn't down and lay the bike over:') Lots of reputable brands like r&g and graves but I think it comes down to how much you are willing to spend. I'm in the same boat debating on cut or no cut but the cut are going to offer better protection.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
If you pull the bike apart, you'll notice that much of the frame is hallowed out to save weight. I'd rather buy fairings than crack a frame.

·
Registered
118 Posts
From what I understand frame sliders that require fairing cutting are the most structurally sound so to speak as the no cuts often require a few extra pieces to clear the fairings. For frame sliders that require fairing cutting, I'd suggest checking out the OEM R6 frame sliders. As for no cuts I was considering the Graves set. Be advised tho that set is pretty pricey. At the end of the day, some protection is always better than no protection.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I've laid my bike down on these and they definitely made the difference between me having to buy new fairings and a tank. You can't go wrong for the price and they do stick out just a bit further then some of the other brands which is nice too. The no-cut frame sliders do have more potential of bending when you go down because the one side has an adapter that allows you to go around the fairing at a lower point. I just can't get myself to cut into my fairings so no-cut was the way for me and i've been happy so far. haha

[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/Radracing-Sliders-Protectors-Yamaha-Extended/dp/B0749GN5XG/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=yamaha+r6+frame+slider&qid=1560214897&s=gateway&sr=8-5[/ame]

·
I beat my R6.
17 Posts
THEY'RE DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT. THE LAST GUY TO BACK HIS TRUCK INTO MY R6 GOT AWAY WITHOUT TOTALLING MY R6. THE PAYOUT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THOSE STINKING SLIDERS FROM SHOGUN. THE SLIDERS I HAD ON IT SAVED THE FAIRINGS AND TANK. I ONLY GOT A NEW EXHAUST MUFFLER, REARSET, WINDSCREEN, AND TAILLIGHT + TAIL OUT OF THAT DEAL. SUPER MAD ABOUT IT STILL.

In reality, frame sliders are going to save you the headache and downtime every time you manage to bring the bike down on its non-rubber side. While cut sliders are structurally more sound, the aesthetics of the bike have always persuaded me to get the no cut versions. All the times my bikes were laid down, the no cut sliders have always managed to save the fairings.

·
Me eats R6 my
10 Posts
INMO frame sliders will help if the bike falls over or goes down at a slow speed, but a high speed crash will likely result in broken sliders and/or broken bolts … which are also the engine mount bolts. These can be tricky to remove after broken off!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts