Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So these are going on sale the day after Christmas for 199$ and when I told a guy at Sunrise Cycles he says "well they must be good then". Obviously being sarcastic and basically saying that they were crap because of the price. I tried it on and looked it over and thought it was a quality suit that was just as good-ish as the more expensive suits. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I wasting my money buying that suit? Here's the link to the suit I tried on
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_FTL300-BZ-38_G.

·
I <3 Orange Chicken
699 Posts
it all comes down to your budget...

i've heard from other forum (fz6r) members who own the FT that it's actually much better than expected... it's not going to compare with an $1000 A* or Dainese suit as far as armor, chest, and back protection go. but, for those on a tight budget, it's a very respectable suit at a very good price. at least so i've heard...

you should always buy the best protection that you can afford. so, if you cannot afford to spend more than $250 and you need the protection, then by all means get the FT suit. but, if you have more $ to spend, then you're better off looking at an A*, Dainese, or something in that range. the higher quality suits will not only protect better but will also last longer. also don't forget to get a ce back protector too.

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the feedback. Not sure what I'm gonna do. I saw some more expensive suits over on the WERA forum for good prices. Maybe a better quality used suit would be a better route. The FT looked good and was all shiny and new but if it won't protect me in the event of a fall than none of that will matter. Thanks again for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Cycle gear ran a sale on these for that price before. I broke down and bought one. So far i have only worn it a few times. It may not be the best suit out there but it is better than not having one at all. It also has a lifetime warranty as well. I have had no problems with it so far. I am planning to get a back protector after christmas if i dont get one from my mom. Other than that it should be a good suit. If I was hitting the track regularly or something like that i would go for a much higher quality suit.

just my $.02

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
I've heard negatives but never tried it myself - So I won't bother saying anything. It's a suit. If that's what you can afford to get you on the track, then do it.

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard negatives but never tried it myself - So I won't bother saying anything. It's a suit. If that's what you can afford to get you on the track, then do it.
Do tell? Hear say is ok to if you think it was a credible source. I have a lot that I am trying to get for the bike and for me so I'm trying to get somethings cheaper than others. If it will save the skin and get me on the track than it is reasonable enough. However I don't want to make a sacrifice that might fail me. Either way thanks for your input.

·
The dude abides.
129 Posts
I have this jacket...the new one. Love it. It is great quality. Compare it to Alpinestar and you will see the quality is VERY similar. For $99 you should buy two of them...

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I have seen a few of these suits after a crash. The seams to go pretty easily. But the suit holds up well for it's price. I was looking into buying some of their stuff before. Even their high end stuff is just above middle of the road in terms of quality and construction. It's not bad, but fit is different ( to me anyway ) and the materials and construction seem just a little under par.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a friend go down in a frank thomas suit and he walked away with a bruise. Granted, he didn't slide very far at all and got very lucky he didn't get hurt more. He went wide on a clover leaf interchange on a highway trying to get a knee down. He went down into a ditch and rode it back up and across the highway we were about to merge on to. He got bucked off the bike trying to stop and both the bike and him slid into the median. He walked away shaken up.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
i bought this from a cycle gear store and i love it... Keeps me nice and warm in the winter and has nice vents for air. It to me is light. My brother has some pure leather jackets and they are heavy.

·
Love livin to ride!
410 Posts
Well i do not have personal experience with this suit i figured i would give a lil input any how! lol

When i first started riding a few years ago i didnt have the money for any expensive name brand gear so i got a coat and gloves from leatherup.com. Although it didnt cost much it was what i could afford and at the end of my first summer of riding with that gear i got rear ended by a kid on a bike who had just got his license as i was makin a rights turn and that coat and gloves along with my helmet saved my ass! I got a broken ankle n broken heel but not another scratch or bruise besides that! I swear by wearing my gear even if it is 85 degrees out!

So what im trying to tell ya is get what u can afford because anything is better than nothing when it comes down to it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts