Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just came back from my first trip on the freeway. It was about 40 miles round trip and I was much more comfortable than I expected I would be. Now I know youre not supposed to keep your weight off your arms, but it felt like the safest way to ride. Bad part was that after about 5 minutes my arms were killing me. Any tips for the new guy?

Also, anyone else find themselves singing at the top of their lungs to keep that nagging engine noise outta your helmet?

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Now I know youre not supposed to keep your weight on your arms, but it felt like the safest way to ride. Bad part was that after about 5 minutes my arms were killing me.
Relax. You probably have the deathgrip going on. Lean forward a bit and get the weight off your arms. Also grip the tank with your thighs. Takes a bit of practice. I grip 'em with my thighs whenever I take my left hand off the bars (just in case the wind comes gushing in) whenever I am stretching my back or arms for that matter. I commute with her (37 miles each way) on a daily basis.

Also, anyone else find themselves singing at the top of their lungs to keep that nagging engine noise outta your helmet?
Earplugs works best for me. Tunes everything out and actually makes me more alert cause I don't have all the ambient noise from the engine. Kinda makes everything slower which sometimes can be bad since you don't realize how fast you are going. HTH.

Robin

·
I eat pancakes 4breakfast
368 Posts
you got a nagging engine noise with your bike?? awww that sux... my bike sings to me on the freeway.. i love her singing.. haha. earplugs will do or playing music.

·
^^ tallest Yamaha rider^^
6,296 Posts
:lmao

haha i don't do it to drain the noise out, i just do it cuz i think it's pretty damn funny...i also do it to keep my sanity in tact...i just rode from Monterey to Fresno in the freezing night (non stop)...bout 160miles...and hearing the engine drone at 8K rpm was killin me...so singin kept me alert :lmao

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree completely killa that drone at 8k rpm can get annoying, but i found myself at peace when I sang. And I was surprised how well I sound in a helmet, it was almost as though it is acoustically tuned. I went from signing opera to rap in the span of about 20 miles.

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Truer words have never been spoken. Thank you for your suggestions men, tried it again tonight and though it was only about 5 miles, tucking in my arms helped keep all the weight off of them. Also relaxed a bit on the handles.

·
BACK
384 Posts
something ive found myself doing on long highway rides is resting my elbows on my knees u could give that a try (while your tucked down)

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
prop yourself on the tank with your left elbow. the bike stays stable and your comfy. as far as the noise goes, get you a set of skull candy earbuds and some music playin. ALL you will hear is the music NOTHING else

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Just try a couple different things to try and stay comfortable. Different positions are comfortable for different people. One thing I've found that really helps is to keep your elbows in towards the tank. If you can feel the wind, pushing them around, pull them in further until it stops. Once in, you'll find your arms are no longer supporting your body weight. The more you do it, the longer you'll be able to ride in like this without your legs and body becoming fatigued.

The freeway is pretty boring. On long trips, I find myself riding in various positions to keep from cramping up and to keep alert. Oh.... and listen to some Five Finger Death Punch

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I brought my bike to work today and its a 65 mile drive. The ride was great, I tucked my arms in the majority of the ride. I did try different positions from sitting straigt up to leaning completely forward with my chest on my tank. It did help the monotony of the freeway. Ipod was not that effective however, I made the mistake of putting my shuffle on the inside of my jacket so I couldnt reach it to turn up the volume when I realized how low I had it and I could still hear the wind and engine noise. Solution: Clip the shuffle to the inside of my right sleeve for easy access!!!! Once again thanks alot for the tips

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Just turning up the volume on the iPod isn't a good solution. If you're drowning out the wind noise wiht more noise, you're going to be deaf quickly. I have a set of noise blocking earbuds (Shure SCL-2 or the E2C) which are basically an earplug with a headphone in them. Yes, they're expensive, but they are much better than just turning up the volume.

·
Do work son!
558 Posts
skull candy earbuds block alot of wind noise and u can get a set for under $20. I tried many and the skull candys are the best so far!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts