Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't about an R6, but I've been hanging around here for a while, and it seems like most people that give tech advice have a clue what they're talking about, so I'm just tossing out a line.

Okay, my friend and I just finished putting together his ninja 250. New battery, new spark plugs, new gas. We tried starting fluid, and nothing happens. The starter will crank, but the bike won't start.

When he got the bike it had some old gas in it. We've cleaned out the tank and have been trying to start it to no avail.

Any suggestions?

and the stopcock is set to ON, and all the standard pre-start checks

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it had old gas in it doublecheck the fuel filter, make sure it didnt clog. Also make sure you check the carbs and if there's any film or gunk on them you'll probably want to clean them out too...

I don't really know much more than that. Good luck man.

·
I am the Stig
451 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing, first make sure to clean out the carbs really well and make sure your getting spark.

If it still fails to start try spraying some gas directly in the carbs, I found starting fluid to be way to harsh for the 250 engine.

Next check the mixture screws, mine were out of whack so a simple adjustment and it fired right up (2.5 turns out seems to be the magic number for the 250).

Hopefully that will get it going, and once it is i highly recommend you adjust the valves and sync the carbs.
- And if your friend doesn't already have this site bookmarked he should, its full of some great information.

-Good Luck :toocool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help, we finally managed to get it running, it hasn't been started in a few years so gas just needed to get forced through the lines, it definitely needs a valve adjustment, but that's a project for next weekend

1 - 4 of 4 Posts