Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Go Heels! #1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive got a whopping 560 miles under my belt and i have a fairly easy question. when braking i use even amounts of front and rear brake all the time. when i go to grab my front brake lever i have a tendency to only use my middle finger, i can brake fully with just the middle and it is comfortable to me and easy to control, but is this a bad habbit??? i'd like to be able to break it early if it is before i get set in my ways ya know. thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
i use the middle and ring finger always on standby at the brake lever... you wouldn't know what pops out of nowhere. saves you a few milliseconds on braking

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah and have fun with the cramps youll get.

There is no right and wrong on how many fingers to use. 1, 2, 4, its all dependant on your personal preference. But once you get more miles on ya, and start pushing the bike, you'll probably lean towards using more fingers. I use 2 personally, and dont have a problem cranking down on the lever.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Agreed with all of the above. No right or wrong. Me personally though, I ride with my index and middle fingers resting (not pulling, just setting) on top of BOTH levers.

This might sound stupid but I have read a couple of books about riding techniques, and most of the books I have read suggest using these two fingers. Reason.... It takes about half of a second for your body to react and move your finger(s) from the throttle to the brake/clutch lever. And at 60 mph that is 88 feet PER SECOND that you are traveling. So, if it takes you .5 seconds just to get your fingers from the throttle to the levers, you have already travled 44 feet!

Using the index and middle finger also helps with blipping the throttle on down shift and if you ride alot of corners it helps with trail braking as well.

One more fact about why I only use two fingers... modern sportbikes brake systems are WAY more powerful than a cruiser or harley's brakes. Over use of them will cause some pain, so why not just use two fingers and not have such a big chance of (literally) grabbing a hand full?

As for your other question... I use my brakes about 70% front 30% rear. The reason for that is because while your bike is slowing down, that is *about* what percentage of traction your tires have to the ground. If you brake more with the rear it could *and i say could because it doesn't happen often* break loose on ya (but it's not likely unless your standing on your rear brake) and because I am more comfortable depending on my front brakes.
Now, don't get me wrong, if I'm just cruising through town, it is not unlikely of me to slowly come to a stop and a redlight with JUST my rear brake. Only if I'm goin pretty slow though.

But yeah about 70front 30rear, not 50 50. You will learn alot more about the performance of your bike as you get more miles. Take your time and learn what your bike can do for you before you really push it....

take care

Hope this helps you out man

later

·
Go Heels! #1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the responses guys, im glad to hear that im not doing anything wrong, just seems to be a matter of personal preference, im gonna try my index and middle, or my index and ring finger next time i ride and see how that feels too. i dont push the bike much yet, my chicken strip is still an inch wide, haha first time ever on two wheels, but hey, ill get used to it

·
Registered
540 Posts
Actually you are doing one thing wrong....

You should not be applying equal amounts of travel to the front and rear brake. You should be leaving your rear brake pretty much alone. When people get in the habit of using both brakes for every stop when an emergency stop comes they have a tendency to push down to hard on the rear brake which locks the tire and causes you to lose control of the bike since the rear tire swings out to the side. You should stop using your rear brake for the most part or make sure you use it sparingly. Also when you brake the front brakes (I use two fingers, but whatever is best for you) you should squeeze the brakes kind of gently at first and let the weight of the bike pitch forward before really digging in the front brakes. This will make sure that your front tire does not skid out and you lose the front end. Kind of just brake a bit get the front to dive then apply hard braking. When I first started riding a little while ago I would go onto an abandoned road and practice braking from like 80 MPH to a stop using this technique. Do that over and over and over again and get comfortable doing it. I don’t use my rear brake at all so I cant help you there. But just realize that when you brake hard the rear tire is almost off the ground or is off the ground so the rear tire locks up easy under hard braking which is why a lot of people stay away from it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
cramps?... i'm probly just used to resting my middle and ring finger over the brake lever. a tip would be to adjust your brake levers a little bit downwards to avoid cramping your wrist. when i got the bike i had wrist pain, but after adjustin the clutch and brake lever a bit down, all the pain went away.

·
Registered
695 Posts
i used my index and middlefinger for clutch and brake levers just because its comfortable, the brake also comes in handy when i downshift,.....mostly for the front straight, hard on the brakes and blip the throttle while downshifting.

·
Go Heels! #1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i tryed out different finger combos tonite after riding for a couple of hours around town and in twisties and found that my middle and ring finger is the best combo for me personally, so im gonna use the two finger technique now, i gotta find an abandoned road to practice braking on like you said.

uncuffed - i was born in newbern, huge tarheel obviously, mascott is tattooed on my arm. im in richmond va right now but looking to move to chappel hill in a couple of years

·
Registered
293 Posts
index and middlefinger even on the clutch? man do you have big finger muscles? the clutch is kinda hard to pull with 2 fingers... specially you can't pull it completely if it pinches your small and ring fingers on the bar.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
yeah, you don't have to pull the clutch all the way to the handgrip for it to disingauge the clutch. Your clutch SHOULD (depending on the bike) disingauge by the time that the lever touches your fingers, you don't have to squish your fingers. I will admit though, if I am held up at a stop light, I will reach my other two fingers up around the clutch lever, but for regular shifting or slowing down, yeah just the index and middle fingers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
you're right... for half clutching you could probly use 2 fingers. but for full stops i would use all fingers for sure. i'll give the 2 finger clutching a try sometime soon :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I always use 2 finger clutching and breaking. It gives you proper leverage for your breaking or clutching and you can still maintain great control of your bike and throttle. If you ever watch Motogp and they switch to the camera where it shows them clutching or breaking, they all use 2 fingers. Index and middle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
jeff_o said:
you're right... for half clutching you could probly use 2 fingers. but for full stops i would use all fingers for sure. i'll give the 2 finger clutching a try sometime soon :)
why? i can stop great with 2 fingers, just squeeze harder. im going to guess you havent been riding long

·
Registered
339 Posts
kyles r6 said:
why? i can stop great with 2 fingers, just squeeze harder. im going to guess you havent been riding long
yea, using 2 fingers is way easy and a lot more stable. Like i said above.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts