Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front brake isnt illuminating my brake light but the thing is i ohms test the wire and it is good the actual brake put 12 on one side when open and closed 12 v on both sides like it is suppose too. I get 12v to the connection to the brake light yet it doesnt illuminate. I dont know if it is maybe a ground or a relay could use some help on this subject
Thanks

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
My front brake isnt illuminating my brake light but the thing is i ohms test the wire and it is good the actual brake put 12 on one side when open and closed 12 v on both sides like it is suppose too. I get 12v to the connection to the brake light yet it doesnt illuminate. I dont know if it is maybe a ground or a relay could use some help on this subject
Thanks
Bad bulb?

Sounds like you know how to use a multimeter tho, so it's likely a missing ground. People always mess up the undertails when they do the integrated light. Does yours have an aftermarket tail light?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,251 Posts
What year is the bike? If it is 99-02 it may be a bad bulb like Chief said. If it is 03 and up, they used LEDs...no bulbs and you most likely have a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
yea i agree with chief, if you are getting your 12 volt at the + wire in the back, you must have either mis-wired, your ground is loose/no good, or the light unit is faulty/bad bulb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It Is an 03 and I forgot to post that the rear brake will illuminate the brake liight so i am thinking it is the ground but where do I check that and how?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,251 Posts
When you are getting 12 V at the connection, is this with the front brake applied. What you are saying doesn't make sense. If the rear brake works, but the front doesn't, you can't be getting 12 Volts at the tail light connection one way and not the other. The two circuits are shared at the plug. Are you sure you're not reading the tail light voltage? The brake light voltage will be between the yellow and balck wires at the plug. The tail light will be between the Blu/red and black wires (and should be hot any time the key is on)

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,251 Posts
BTW the ground is shared between the tail and brake lights, so if the ground was bad, niether would work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YeaI have the constant and when the front brake is aPplied I do get 12.4 vdc and when I apply the rear brake I get the same when nothing is applied I get 0.40 ish vdc other then that I have no idea why it is not working I thought maybe the ground but if they share then I don't know what is going on

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,251 Posts
Check ALL the connectors from the 12V side through the switch to where the two circuits (front and rear) join. You may have a bad crimp or break in the wires. It may have just enough contact to show voltage without a load, but is broken too much to carry any current.

If you don't already have it, go here and download the service manual. The last page has the elect schematic:

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
YeaI have the constant and when the front brake is aPplied I do get 12.4 vdc and when I apply the rear brake I get the same when nothing is applied I get 0.40 ish vdc other then that I have no idea why it is not working I thought maybe the ground but if they share then I don't know what is going on
please just clarify, i hope you are from another country, if not please back to English class ;)

What you first said was, when you press rear brake lever, the brake light illuminates, but when you apply the front brake lever, nothing happens.
you checked voltage at the rear and found the constant 12V wire for the rear illumination, then you found the 12V wire for the rear brake light illumination (this one will only have voltage with the brake lever('s) applied), then you found the ground.

you made sure the wire gets voltage when you press the front brake, same with rear brake levers, but then you say you get 12 volts with front applied and nothing with rear applied?
either you worded it wrong or your mixed up because something doesnt make sense.
Please clarify

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,251 Posts
please just clarify, i hope you are from another country, if not please back to English class ;)

What you first said was, when you press rear brake lever, the brake light illuminates, but when you apply the front brake lever, nothing happens.
you checked voltage at the rear and found the constant 12V wire for the rear illumination, then you found the 12V wire for the rear brake light illumination (this one will only have voltage with the brake lever('s) applied), then you found the ground.

you made sure the wire gets voltage when you press the front brake, same with rear brake levers, but then you say you get 12 volts with front applied and nothing with rear applied?
either you worded it wrong or your mixed up because something doesnt make sense.
Please clarify
:confused: Where did he state this? He said he has 12V at the plug with the front applied and with the rear applied. With nothing applied he has .4 vdc (which is nothing).

His statement "Yea I have the constant" was in response to me clarifying the difference between the tail and brak light circuits.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
and when the front brake is aPplied I do get 12.4 vdc and when I apply the rear brake I get the same when nothing is applied I get 0.40 ish vdc

thats what i got from that...

i see, nevermind my statement, took me 5 times of re reading and adding in punctuation where i believe it needs to be hah. now i get what hes saying. sry.

but now it makes even less sense because if both give same voltage, then both are working properly, must have been loose connection,,.?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,251 Posts
and when the front brake is aPplied I do get 12.4 vdc and when I apply the rear brake I get the same when nothing is applied I get 0.40 ish vdc

thats what i got from that...

i see, nevermind my statement, took me 5 times of re reading and adding in punctuation where i believe it needs to be hah. now i get what hes saying. sry.

but now it makes even less sense because if both give same voltage, then both are working properly, must have been loose connection,,.?
Yeah it doesn't make sense unles it is a bad connection or partial break in a wire. (reference post #9) :cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright to clarify the connection is giving the same reading 12vdc when the front brake is applied and the rear brake is applied. I was wondering where the grounding point is for the front brake as so i may check it

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,251 Posts
There isn't a separate ground wire for the front brake switch. The same ground wire is used for the tail light and BOTH brake switches. In the electrical diagram of the sevice manual, Item 67 at the bottom of the page towards the left is the tail light assy. I posted a link to the manual in a previous post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts