Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel like my front brakes in my street bike are less than optimum for stopping distance. They work okay, but I can literally squeeze them as hard as I can without lifting the rear wheel more than an inch off the ground. I am contemplating swapping new master front cylinder and new fluid, but want to know my options before dropping any money. What are your opinions? Bike is an 04 r6 (r6s)

Serious input is appreciated!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'll try bleeding the system first. Might as well flush the rear fluid too while I'm at it. My track bike (just picked it up) has stainless steel front lines and the lever feels so much better/stronger.

Also there is plenty of pad left on them. I'll report back after I try flushing the system

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
I would also get some 180 grit paper and hone/clean the rotors & pads.
Grab the disc with the paper and spin the wheel.
Clean & lube the caliper pistons/seals.
I heard 600 wet sand was the way to go?

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
How long are you guys getting on a set of pads? I have 27,000 miles on mine and they are the original pads. Stops great and seem to have lots of life left. I've bled them. :)

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I would also get some 180 grit paper and hone/clean the rotors & pads.
Grab the disc with the paper and spin the wheel.
Clean & lube the caliper pistons/seals.
This.

And if you don't know what kind of pads are on there, I'd replace them. I run Vesrah XX pads on my race bike, but I sure as hell would never run them on a street bike. EBC HH pads are awesome for street and beginner/intermediate pace on the track.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
and get fren tubo lines.
Putting aftermarket lines on the brakes isn't going to solve the problem he's having in the first place. There is hardly a noticeable difference of OEM lines to stainless lines for 99.9% of street riding.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
might not be aggressive enough. Ive serviced my brakes 3 times last year and there is no measurable wear on the rotors according to my digi caliper from the initial hone I did. I did go through a set of pads.
Hmmm I've been using 600 at the suggestion of Dave Moss. I'll hit it with 180 for good measure.

Putting aftermarket lines on the brakes isn't going to solve the problem he's having in the first place. There is hardly a noticeable difference of OEM lines to stainless lines for 99.9% of street riding.
After 10k miles or a few years it is suggested by the manual to replace the stock lines. I assumed that may have been an issue.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Hmmm I've been using 600 at the suggestion of Dave Moss. I'll hit it with 180 for good measure.

After 10k miles or a few years it is suggested by the manual to replace the stock lines. I assumed that may have been an issue.
Do you replace the rubber lines on your cars every 10k miles too? :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.