Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got into a bit of an accident. Tried stopping, rear tire locks up, front tire locks up, get to about 20mph and boom I hit the bumper of a truck.

So I lost my headlight, forks seem straight, my right throttle handlebar seems slightly bent (the bike fell over on its right), and my fairing nose piece needs replaced obviously. My bike won't even turn on or anything.

^Edit: Checked fuses, replaced the bad one, and it starts up fine

Only problem I'm having currently is that my odometer won't turn on. The green neutral light will turn on when the bike is in neutral, but the RPM needle won't budge, no digits on the speedometer or the odometer. It should work if it's not plugged into the headlight assembly, right? There is one wire hanging out in front of the speedometer which I'm unsure of where it goes, so that MAY be the problem.

^Edit: Plugged in all the wires coming out of the odometer/speedometer, and it still won't turn on. Needle won't budge when bike is on, and no digits are displayed.... Only thing that turns on is the neutral light.. :mad:

Thank you much. Don't want to file an insurance claim on something like this with a 500$ deductible - I figure most of the repairs would be coming out of pocket regardless.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Check fuses?

sent while on the move
Oh duh, I should have checked that first haha, thanks I'll do that now.

Edit: Yeah the signaling system fuse blew, just replaced it with the spare and it starts right up. Now my odometer won't turn on at all... grr

Edit again: Just found out that my bike has no left radiator fan fuse. I guess the previous owner was either too lazy to put one back in or just forgot. At least one good thing came out of the crash :laugh

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
While the bike is apart go through everything on that front end and more if you feel adventurous. Download the service manual as well in case you forget how some parts go back together.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
call me cray but your rim maybe bent.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
call me cray but your rim maybe bent.
Damn it I gotta double check that once I get home now. You wouldn't happen to know why my odometer isn't working do you?

My neutral light will show up on the display, but the needle won't move and no numbers are displayed on the speedometer. Is it because the plugs aren't in the headlight assembly to complete the circuit or something? Or is there a fuse or something for the odometer?

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Damn it I gotta double check that once I get home now. You wouldn't happen to know why my odometer isn't working do you?

My neutral light will show up on the display, but the needle won't move and no numbers are displayed on the speedometer. Is it because the plugs aren't in the headlight assembly to complete the circuit or something? Or is there a fuse or something for the odometer?
The headlights wouldn't have anything to do with the odometer. That must have been one hell of a crash.:eek5

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^Check your steering head. As for the gauge cluster, check and re-check connections.
So everything seems untouched besides the odometer not working and my headlights not being there at all. I took it for a ride around the neighborhood and it runs perfect. Rims aren't bent, nor are the forks. No leaks anywhere. My clip-ons don't seem to bent either.

I checked all the connections from the odometer to the the main wiring harness under the tank, and it all seems intact. There is only one connection that I don't know where it goes (if you look at the picture, it's the wire right in front of the odometer). As for the rest of the wires hanging around, I know they plug into the headlight assembly.

I'll take more pictures tonight, but I'm still unsure of why my odometer/speedometer won't turn on.. :confused:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the headlight assembly, plugged in all the wires coming out from the odometer, and yet the stupid thing (the odometer) still won't turn on. What could be the problem? Could the odometer/speedometer be bad itself?

The only thing that turns on on the gauge cluster is the green neutral light. No digits, no movement of the RPM needle, or nothing. I have no idea what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So purchased all the parts that I need to replace what was broken; fairing stay and the entire headlight assembly w/ nose piece fairing.

I'm iffy on whether I should buy the gauge cluster with the wiring harness. I want to say one or the other is not working properly, which is causing my gauge cluster to not work (however, the neutral/low gas lights work - no digits are being displayed nor is the RPM needle moving).

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
Might be a long shot, but did you double check your entire headlight harness for anything abnormal? If you have a buddy with the same R6, try the gauges on their bike to see if it is problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts