Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I set my sag today got my rear set and went to set the front and wow its soft. I then stiffened the front forks to max preload and im still at 36mm. I DONT GET IT im 140 lbs without gear. Stock the front forks should be to stiff. This is on a 2013 R6 and suspension is stock. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
:curse:curse:curse

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
Static Sag or rider sag? Have the forks ever been opened? How are you measuring it? Are you using a buddy or doing it solo with zipties?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
rider sag i cant get anywhere near 30 mm its 36 but static sag is 32mm. Maybe going alot softer may fix my problem.. because i can't go firmer im using someone else to help. Also forks have never been touched since i bought it new.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
So according to your title are you going from hard to soft

Or is to TOO soft?

Or maybe now has two much soft

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
Pictures of how you are measuring.

With 3 lines showing on the preload you should be roughly around 32~36mm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures of how you are measuring.

With 3 lines showing on the preload you should be roughly around 32~36mm
really with my weight? cause i did get it to about 25 mm static and about 36mm rider weight can't really get pictures as I don't have extra hands today... I'm surprised how little the preload adjusters do :confused:

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
really with my weight? cause i did get it to about 25 mm static and about 36mm rider weight can't really get pictures as I don't have extra hands today... I'm surprised how little the preload adjusters do :confused:
The movement you see at the adjuster is what you get internally. There is only around 12mm of movement, thus 12mm of further preload you can get. This is done for a couple different reasons.

Are you mixing the terms up some?

• free sag = the amount the machine alone pushes down on the springs
  • static sag = the amount the machine and rider push down on the springs
  • rider sag = see static sag
Also; which way did you turn the adjusters when you to "max preload"?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
First off, for the love of fcuk, to, too, and two. Use the right one at the right time and it'll be a lot easier to understand what you're talking about.

Can you explain to us how you're measuring? RaceTech recommends a .85 kg/mm spring for your weight. Stock is .9 kg/mm, which should be close enough to get good sag numbers. So you're right - if anything, they should be too stiff.

You don't have your extensive gold coin collection sitting on the tank when you measure do you? :laugh

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
^^ lol..

as some said, 35-36mm front rider sag isn't horrible. I shoot for 35mm on the front, 25mm at the back.

gotta do TWO measurements, and gonna need a buddy. Pull up on the bike and let it settle. measure. then push down a few times and let it settle. Measure. Then take those two numbers and divide by 2. This accounts for "stiction" of the forks.. Depending, there could be 10mm difference from the two measurements as the seals will stick a bit on the fork tubes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I have done both I ment to say free sag is 25 and rider sag is 36mm. I'm measuring with the tape measure on the bottom of the lower triple clamp to the bottom of the forks the values are bigger but should have same results. That's the best I can get with adjusters what could be wrong with my forks?

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
Use a zip tie since you don't have a buddy. I think you are getting off measurements because of your measurement method.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Use a zip tie since you don't have a buddy. I think you are getting off measurements because of your measurement method.

Thanks thats actually how i did it today because i didnt have a buddy and came up with 22 free and 33 rider without full gear. How did you get the front wheel off the ground without someone? triple tree stand? That in my mind is a pretty good number to start at... BUT i still dont think i should be at that number at max preload.

Also; which way did you turn the adjusters when you to "max preload"?
I went clockwise and have 3 lines showing. Also went the other way to make sure i wasnt crazy....:D

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
the way you are attempting to do this is a bit of a joke.. get a helper. You also need to push the front wheel down with your foot while the the bike is on a front stand to get your starting full length measurement to account for the top out spring.

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
I use a triple tree stand, a wheel chock, and a professional suspension guy ;)

·
all about suspension
20 Posts
the way you are attempting to do this is a bit of a joke.. get a helper. You also need to push the front wheel down with your foot while the the bike is on a front stand to get your starting full length measurement to account for the top out spring.
+1 very important to get true numbers.

FYI 11mm riders sag is a good number. 9-11 is the working range. your preload adjustment is only going to affect the free sag. spring rate in relation to your rider weight will always remain the same......unless you change the spring.

another thing to remember.....changing the preload does not make it "stiffer" (unless you over preload the spring), preload only affects the dynamic ride height. making it "stiffer" would be done by adjusting the Comp/Rebound adjusters.......they affect dampening. a 500# spring at rest needs 500# to move it one inch....take the same spring preload it 1 inch....it still only needs 500# to move it one inch.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
+1 very important to get true numbers.

FYI 11mm riders sag is a good number. 9-11 is the working range. your preload adjustment is only going to affect the free sag. spring rate in relation to your rider weight will always remain the same......unless you change the spring.

another thing to remember.....changing the preload does not make it "stiffer" (unless you over preload the spring), preload only affects the dynamic ride height. making it "stiffer" would be done by adjusting the Comp/Rebound adjusters.......they affect dampening. a 500# spring at rest needs 500# to move it one inch....take the same spring preload it 1 inch....it still only needs 500# to move it one inch.
preload, oddly is one of the most difficult things to get one's head around (myself included!). As you said, it doesn't affect the stiffness , is it kind of a "ride height" adjuster ?? and would it have the forks riding those few mm higher or lower in the stroke all the time?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts