Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the military version on the Cali Superbike school so I got some training on how to corner. My question is when I get into the corner and have the bike leaned over then as I start to roll on the throttle I feel the front getting light is this because I'm riding "too high" on the bike or worst I'm giving it too much throttle? This is while riding on the street. Thanks fam :toocool:

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
I took the military version on the Cali Superbike school so I got some training on how to corner. My question is when I get into the corner and have the bike leaned over then as I start to roll on the throttle I feel the front getting light is this because I'm riding "too high" on the bike or worst I'm giving it too much throttle? This is while riding on the street. Thanks fam :toocool:
It's tough to say. If you are tipping the bike up real quickly while gassing it, that'll make the front get light.

When the bike is leaned, you are on the smaller/shorter portion of the tire. When you tip up the tire gets larger and the revs drop as it tips up. It gives the bike a lot of additional acceleration with a quick tip up.

I used to get this all the time on my 02 when I first started riding. Honestly, I ride WAY faster now and it happens even less. Your technique is probably flawed. Get to a track and have someone watch you. Get pics and look em over, etc.

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
Someone more knowleageable than me will chime in I"m sure, but how are agressive are you with your "roll on"? Or as you mentioned you may just need to adjust BP, kiss that inside mirror and make sure you have weight forward and you should be ok......

Correct me if I"m off please crowd :YEA

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fam. I'm going to sign up for an advance rider trackday class next month since I just picked up a used racing suit :YEA The closest track to me is VIR and its like a 3 hr drive but i plan on making it out there sometime this summer.

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
Damn Ant doesn't miss a beat
:YEA

Where are you OP!? Come to NJMP!!! We'll help u out. We all take pics of each other all day. Watch each others videos and correct lines and BP. Shit, we even do a little BP clinic in the garages during the day. A couple guys holding the bike while u lean and we correct u. It does wonders!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I ride high all the time.... Doesnt affect my cornering at all....:laugh

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:YEA

Where are you OP!? Come to NJMP!!! We'll help u out. We all take pics of each other all day. Watch each others videos and correct lines and BP. Shit, we even do a little BP clinic in the garages during the day. A couple guys holding the bike while u lean and we correct u. It does wonders!
Carolina Coast about an hour north of J-ville, NC. Where is NJMP?

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Keep us posted! There are a bunch of us who are planning on attending VIR sometime this summer. Might be a good chance to meet up!

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
You have to be careful applying the throttle like that. While leaned over your bike is dealing with cornering forces (lateral g's) and that is taking up alot of your available traction.

So getting on the throttle enough that the front tire gets light is a tricky game (especially if you are relatively new to performance riding).

First off, your bike (any sportsbike) turns better on the brakes...that is a fact. The geometry change helps the bike turn. You are doing the opposite by getting on the gas; so you better make sure you are pointed in the right direction when you do so.

Also, by making the front end lighter, you are decreasing the contact patch. It is possible to lose the front like that if you arent careful doing so while leaned over too much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have to be careful applying the throttle like that. While leaned over your bike is dealing with cornering forces (lateral g's) and that is taking up alot of your available traction.

So getting on the throttle enough that the front tire gets light is a tricky game (especially if you are relatively new to performance riding).

First off, your bike (any sportsbike) turns better on the brakes...that is a fact. The geometry change helps the bike turn. You are doing the opposite by getting on the gas; so you better make sure you are pointed in the right direction when you do so.

Also, by making the front end lighter, you are decreasing the contact patch. It is possible to lose the front like that if you arent careful doing so while leaned over too much.
Outstanding information thanks fam :YEA

·
Registered
108 Posts
What Code is trying to get you to do is transfer weight onto the back tire to get about a 60/40 split. The point is to roll on the throttle, not hammer it. Like mentioned, set your lean angle and then apply the gas.

One of the things that tends to cause too much throttle in a corner is low entry speed. You get into the corner and think hell I can go a lot faster and start winding it on.

The biggest risk for crashing when using the throttle is adding lean angle while adding throttle. This is a recipe for a crash.

Bike set-up is important also. If the bike is squatting heavily when you apply throttle the front will push. Set sag and set a baseline for rebound and compresssion. My old TL is terribly soft in the rear and will push the front when leaned over and adding much throttle. To the point that I wear front tires out as fast as rears, but the fronts are ruined on the sides from pushing so much (which was to be a winter project until I threw the 6 down).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What Code is trying to get you to do is transfer weight onto the back tire to get about a 60/40 split. The point is to roll on the throttle, not hammer it. Like mentioned, set your lean angle and then apply the gas.

One of the things that tends to cause too much throttle in a corner is low entry speed. You get into the corner and think hell I can go a lot faster and start winding it on.

The biggest risk for crashing when using the throttle is adding lean angle while adding throttle. This is a recipe for a crash.

Bike set-up is important also. If the bike is squatting heavily when you apply throttle the front will push. Set sag and set a baseline for rebound and compresssion. My old TL is terribly soft in the rear and will push the front when leaned over and adding much throttle. To the point that I wear front tires out as fast as rears, but the fronts are ruined on the sides from pushing so much (which was to be a winter project until I threw the 6 down).
:werd I agree with the low entry speed i think that is my problem among other things :lmao

1 - 20 of 20 Posts