Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot lately about people swap a 60series to a 70 series front tire. But at high speed with added heat the tire's gas will expand. That causes a concern for me. Since from a 60 to a 70 there is already 10mm difference from the hugger to the tire. Then when the gas expands the debris and what not...it will eventually make the tire rub on the hugger which in anycase could be very dangerous to a rider or may cause the debris to damage the raditor. Some people has said the there a 2 or so brand tires that are made out of a certain compound that won't make the tire expand so much, but it still causes a concern for me.

I was wondering if the '03 R6 hugger are made taller then the '04, and if the bolt patterns are still the same. What have some of you out there that have this issue do?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i have meltzer m1's with a 70 profile on my front wheel. i didn't adjust anything, just slipped the tire on. i've taken it up to about 110 indicated on these set of tires w/o any problem.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
from what ive read so far the 2 tires you are talking about is the pirelli diablo and metzler ?(not sure which model). but these 2 brands of tires are the shortest of the 70 series tires. also it has something to do with the carcass the other brands like dunlop, michelen and bridgestone when heated these tires expand more.

i seen a remedy/mod done to the earlier r6 which may be possible to do on the '03-'04. basically remove the front fender and find the mounting holes. now find the right size drill bit and drill a hole 10 mm lower than the original. the holes maybe so close together you will have to fill the other hole with some type of epoxy or in the case of the article i read they used jb-weld. once done sand the epoxy or what ever you used down smooth. by now it must look like a cheap body work job. in the article the guy used some type of touch up paint to paint over his jb weld job. but being picky as me i would have someone spray the fender. then just remount the fender.

again i have not done this to my bike yet. i am running the 70 series diablo up front and dropped my triples, but never touched my fender yet. if i get another fender then i will try it. i just dont want to goof it up then have no fender, i have to have a back up. if i find the article again i will post the link.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
I have a 70 on my front and have had no problems. I put 3000-40000 miles on it since it was installed and have not had a single problem..... I still need to drop the triple trees.... :roll:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Obviously going to a 70 profile will give you a greater range of tire choices. But handling wise, do you guys feel a slower turn in with the 70 if you didn't drop the forks to compensate? :?:

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
from what ive read so far the 2 tires you are talking about is the pirelli diablo and metzler ?(not sure which model). but these 2 brands of tires are the shortest of the 70 series tires. also it has something to do with the carcass the other brands like dunlop, michelen and bridgestone when heated these tires expand more.

i seen a remedy/mod done to the earlier r6 which may be possible to do on the '03-'04. basically remove the front fender and find the mounting holes. now find the right size drill bit and drill a hole 10 mm lower than the original. the holes maybe so close together you will have to fill the other hole with some type of epoxy or in the case of the article i read they used jb-weld. once done sand the epoxy or what ever you used down smooth. by now it must look like a cheap body work job. in the article the guy used some type of touch up paint to paint over his jb weld job. but being picky as me i would have someone spray the fender. then just remount the fender.

again i have not done this to my bike yet. i am running the 70 series diablo up front and dropped my triples, but never touched my fender yet. if i get another fender then i will try it. i just dont want to goof it up then have no fender, i have to have a back up. if i find the article again i will post the link.
Go look at your fender again, the way the fender is "molded" around the bolt looks like it would take a professional to get it to look right.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
z31maniac said:
Go look at your fender again, the way the fender is "molded" around the bolt looks like it would take a professional to get it to look right.
i just looked at it in the morning. there is a recessed portion. some masking tape and epoxy would be enough to try and mold something to create the same recessed portion after you drilled your hole. but then again its not something easy for someone with no bodywork experience. best bet is ask someone who does bodywork to see if they are capable of doing it.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
okay i just thought of this one. pm RSixxr, ask him if his friends at rennsport bodies could make a fiberglass fender but make the mounting points lower. just a thought.

·
Registered
304 Posts
just my two cents here but i put on a dunlop 70 series this summer and put it thru some good use (triple digits, hard corners, days spent in a parking lot attempting to stunt obviously getting the tires nice and hot, then getting on her on the highway immediately afterwards at high speeds) and never had any problem of the tire expanding so much that it rubbed the tire directly on the hugger, which would be a huge problem. as far as debris......i do have some small dents in my radiator that could be easily repaired with flat head screwdriver. i have driven over small twigs/branches and all sorts of rocks and what not. i dont have much damage at all...not even chipping on the front hugger. i understand the concern but i think i would have found out this summer if there was anything to find out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...so what makes the '03 front hugger different from the '04 front hugger. From what i'm reading they sound like they are identical. So when can the '03 have a 70 profile with no problem? and the '04 has issues with a 70 profile?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
MadChild said:
Ok...so what makes the '03 front hugger different from the '04 front hugger. From what i'm reading they sound like they are identical. So when can the '03 have a 70 profile with no problem? and the '04 has issues with a 70 profile?
from what i seen, the '03 and '04 are the same. the only way is to get someone or do the mounting relocation of the fender done. your best bet is to contact one of those companies that make bodywork to just relocate the holes 10mm lower.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Lots of miles on my diablo's and haven't had a problem.

The tire in total is around 10mm taller.

So it's only 5mm closer to the fender.

As far as slower turn-in.........non-existent when you raise the rear ride height to compensate!! 70 front is 150% positive upgrade when you adjust suspension accordingly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only problems I've had are when I used a michelin, they are a higher profile tire, and a race fender -- from what I've heard -- will give you more clearance than the stock one.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
RedlineR6 said:
Lots of miles on my diablo's and haven't had a problem.

The tire in total is around 10mm taller.

So it's only 5mm closer to the fender.

As far as slower turn-in.........non-existent when you raise the rear ride height to compensate!! 70 front is 150% positive upgrade when you adjust suspension accordingly.
I didn't adjust my suspension and loved my 70 front (the stock tires off a ZX-6R). The first time I rode it I felt the difference. I had no problems with rubbing either.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stoneloco808 said:
MadChild said:
from what i seen, the '03 and '04 are the same. the only way is to get someone or do the mounting relocation of the fender done. your best bet is to contact one of those companies that make bodywork to just relocate the holes 10mm lower.
from what ur saying the '03 fender holes is 10mm off from the '04 fender

·
Registered
179 Posts
im considering getting an R6, but thise 70 seris tire thing is kinda bothering me...looks like using tire warmers up front would be an issue as well...the front warmer is already a tight fit between the tire and fender...im guessing a 70 series tire would make it difficult to slide the warmer in...anyone use warmers?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
MadChild said:
from what ur saying the '03 fender holes is 10mm off from the '04 fender
no, what i meant was the '03 and '04 are identical to design, all mounting points are the same the only difference would be color.

what i meant was the best way to achieve the 10mm relocation holes was to get it done by a professional auto body person. or contact one of those companies that make fiberglass body work for the R6 to do the modifcation before in the mold. one of these ways will give you a fender with all the clearance you need and look like it was stock.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
s4isccol said:
im considering getting an R6, but thise 70 seris tire thing is kinda bothering me...looks like using tire warmers up front would be an issue as well...the front warmer is already a tight fit between the tire and fender...im guessing a 70 series tire would make it difficult to slide the warmer in...anyone use warmers?
I assuming your wanting a track bike, since your talking about tire warmers. Try stone's suggestion or try to find some guys or a shop that races 6's and ask how they handle the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts