Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Take a good look at a wiring diagram and get familiar with it. I spent a good amount of time planning how i wanted to do mine because i had certain wants and i was changing multiple things. If you are wanting your headlight off and your led strip on, like i said you can do it multiple ways, but the best option would be to install a 3 way switch [on-off-on] in my opinion, run your power to that switch, and on one side of the switch power your led strip, and then the other side of the switch would power your headlight relay. That way, when you have it in one position your led strip is on for running lights, and when you switch it to the other on position you have headlights like normal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you have a link to the wiring diagram? Would you say that the way you've got it is inexpensive?

So are you saying that with that three way switch one of the ON's are for the LED's only, the other ON makes it normal so basically low beam, and there I can swap between high and low beam like normal, and off would just turn off all lights? Because that does sound pretty good. And then just attach that switch wherever basically?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes it was relatively inexpensive, it cost more time than anything.

Yes you are correct in how the setup i have works. Sometimes i am absolutely terrible at explaining things.

I will dig around for the wiring diagram and post it here for you. I know its posted other places too but ill find it for ya.

I attached a picture of 2 examples of the switch i used for my setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you so much. Mine is a 06 though so I guess I need to look in that manual, I'll see if I can make sense of it haha. Maybe this is a dumb question but how do you connect the wires to the actual switch if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So you would run a power and ground from your battery, i fused mine, to the switch. Power goes to the middle spade, ground would go to the spade off to the side and should have a ground symbol.

Then the wire powering your leds would be put on one of the on side spades, and the wire powering your headlight relay would be on the other on spade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Out if the box

saw the turning signals to the sleeves of your jacket, and run a small battery with a remote actuator

plus you can solve front and rear...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yeah that's unconventional alright Patineto.

Two points in reading over this thread:
1) Having the turn signals on the cowling where the mirrors would be mounted is not a highly visible choice at night, and are not far enough apart to undoubtedly discern a turning direction.
2) If the LED strips are mounted on the headlamp, the corresponding headlamp will need to be switched off in order to best make the turn signal visible to oncoming drivers.

Personally, though it seems like a good idea on its face, never liked the 'switch off the headlamp' feature because it hinders the driver's ability to "look before they leap" onto a dark street, or driveway. (crossing a sidewalk)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah that's unconventional alright Patineto.
I had make my living "Inventing" stuff for moire than 30 years, out of the box works sometimes too..

just imagine extending your arm the old s=fashion way to indicate you are taking a turn and is all light up..

i still do it on the street and on the freeways sometimes

you can never be to careful, specially in the bay area with such dense traffic..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts