Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told not to add any carburetor cleanor or fuel injector cleaner to motorcycles. is that true? I just wondered if carburetor cleaner would work to clean r6 carbs.

·
Registered
504 Posts
dido.

I did it and she run smoother now.
Dido is hot, I'd **** the shit out of her. Also I was told that additives are not good. Not sure if that is true or not though.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
JL said:
Dido is hot, I'd **** the shit out of her. Also I was told that additives are not good. Not sure if that is true or not though.
You're thinking of KY you perv. GO back to John's Street. Besides, KY wouldn't be good for your bike.

I don't see how fuel additives such as fuel injector or carb cleaner would be bad for a bike. As long as you don't put diesel fuel additive in your gas, I'd think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You just don't want to run them all the time. Some additives, or most will cause the engine to run a little lean, or sometimes will deposit crap in the engine as well. Also, when you use the additives, use them quickly, don't put the additive in and let it set. Some contain alcohols etc.. that can be harmful to fuel lines, alcohol is especially bad on aluminum! So don't run ethanol added fuels!!

Also, if told by your dealer to not use additives, it's cause they either just want your money when it comes time to clean carbs, or they are actually honest and will tell you like this.........

Fuel additives are a piss poor excuse for cleaning something. If your carbs are dirty.....get in there and clean them!

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
327 Posts
My boyfriend has a GSX-R1000, and his throttle bodies got some crap in them over time, it would sputter and stuff. He is a mechanic, and put a quart of ATF in his tank, topped it off with gas, and ran that tank a little hard. By the end of the tank, almost all of his lost performance was back.
He said it is an old trick he uses on cars (without all the smog crap), and that the detergents in ATF are better than anything you can buy in a fuel injection cleaner. ATF won't eat gaskets and seals and stuff, too.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
My boyfriend has a GSX-R1000, and his throttle bodies got some crap in them over time, it would sputter and stuff. He is a mechanic, and put a quart of ATF in his tank, topped it off with gas, and ran that tank a little hard. By the end of the tank, almost all of his lost performance was back.
He said it is an old trick he uses on cars (without all the smog crap), and that the detergents in ATF are better than anything you can buy in a fuel injection cleaner. ATF won't eat gaskets and seals and stuff, too.
i would have never thought of using ATF to clean something out like that. i might try that one of these days.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
miraclegrau said:
:eek:t WOW! thanks for this short info Char, I am about do some minor tune up on my rice Corolla: Oil change, change the spark plugs & wires, time belt, top of fluids, and I bought some FI cleaner!

What is this ATF stuff? My friend warned me about eating up and cracking the agskets & seals, using them FI cleaners.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
DOH! :stupic

So you guys think FI cleaners (the one you dunk in the gas tank) would work well or would it damage any gaskets ( i heard about this). Should I risk it?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'd be careful adding a quart of anything to a tank of gas and riding hard.

Remember what ever you add to your gas, replaces gas in fuel delivery. Which in turn creates a lean mixture and a quart in a 4.5 gallon tank is gonna make some seriously lean mixture. This is the reason it is important to make sure 2stroke engines have the CORRECT amount of oil mixed in the gas, not just adding too much and calling it good.

Like i've stated before, you shouldnt have to use any additives at all. Get off your ass and clean them the correct way by taking them apart. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts