Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in a low speed lay over on the left side of the bike two weeks ago. I missed the car that pulled out in front of me, but laid the bike down at about 25-30, and although I was fine the bike slid on its left side, and hit a curb with primarily the tail. Broke the subframe, and dented the tank (about the size of a quarter.)

I replaced the subframe etc and the fairings, tail, stator cover, etc. Changed the oil, got everything ready to go basically. But, not two minutes after the accident, and to this day, when the key is on, the fuel light blinks. There is plenty of fuel in the tank ( I was leaving the gas station when it happened)

The fuel pump makes noise, and from the threads I searched on here, its said that the fuel pump could have a short, thus the blinking of the light? Although, with it making noise with the key in the on position, I almost have a hard time thinking that is the case.

I attempted to start the bike, and it turns over, but doesn't start. Could it be the stator? The battery has been on a battery tender since the accident. Only mods are a Micron slip on. Any thoughts?:confused:

·
232 Posts
It could either be the electrical plugs underneath the tank have come loose/unplugged, or there may be a short in the fuel sender curcuit. Check page 8-51 in the 2nd gen service manual.

Are you getting any diag error codes?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
if its blinking it's indicating there is a problem with the connection. either plug or short.

prop open the tank and have a look under the tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I propped the tank up, checked everything, plugs, wires, etc. Nothing is unplugged, and I cant see any wires that are broken. Any thoughts on what to do now?:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since its been laid down....could it have anything to do with lean angle sensors?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm guessing this is a carb bike 99-02? If so on the starting it could just be flooded carbs. Unhook the wire to the fuel pump maybe even the fuel line at the carbs and crank it over for for a bit (20-30secs should do it) if it starts to fire you can rehook the line and wire and fire it up.

On the blinking light. It shouldn't be the fuel pump with the short it it would be the level senser shorted causing it to blink. I think you got a messed up wire some where.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input man. I've been told that the second gen (03-05) bikes are fuel injected. Thats the assumption I'm under anyway, yet this is my first Yamaha, I've always been a Suzuki rider.

The general consensus is that it is a wire somewhere - since the tank had a dent in it after the layover that wasnt there before, I can see how this could be the case, however after propping the tank up I saw nothing.

After contacting the local dealer today, they told me that it is most likely the tip over sensor; yet, i have no idea where these are or how to test them. Could anyone shed some light on how this is done?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do I check the error code on the dash? The fuel light blinks 8 times, goes off for a second, then repeats. Is this what you mean by error code?

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
How do I check the error code on the dash? The fuel light blinks 8 times, goes off for a second, then repeats. Is this what you mean by error code?
Error code is usually represented by a number on the gauges that you can look up.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Since it is a second gen there are only two things it can really be. either the connector came loose on the underside of the tank, or the fuel pump came loose inside the tank ripping wires loose. There are other possibilities but since you downed the bike those would be two I focus on. You will have to pull the tank and pull the fuel pump if the connectors under the tank look good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I am going to go pull the tank off again and take the pump out and have a look. There isn't any codes on the dash I see, just the flashing light.

·
SiR6alot
592 Posts
I would look into the lean angle sensor myself. ESPECIALLY if the fuel pump primes. i.e. key the ignition from off to on, with the engine kill switch in "run" and you should be able to hear the "whine" of the fuel pump for a couple seconds. If you're unsure, key the ignition from off to on and toggle the engine kill switch and you should hear the fuel pump coincide with the switching of the kill switch.

Just my .02

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
I would look into the lean angle sensor myself. ESPECIALLY if the fuel pump primes. i.e. key the ignition from off to on, with the engine kill switch in "run" and you should be able to hear the "whine" of the fuel pump for a couple seconds. If you're unsure, key the ignition from off to on and toggle the engine kill switch and you should hear the fuel pump coincide with the switching of the kill switch.

Just my .02
Doesn't matter. If the pump came loose and ripped the wire from the fuel level switch out you can prime the pump all day long and it will give you the flashing fuel light. Lean angle sensor will throw a code on the dash when the key is put in and you try to crank it. It wouldn't have a blinking fuel light. It even states clearly in the service manual that the bike won't start with a blinking fuel light. That is regardless if it's the fuel level sensor or the sending unit leads that are causing the problem. Only way the fuel pump wouldn't prime is if the connector or lead for the sending unit is bad. Or the pump is just toast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So with the tank off, what exactly should I look for?

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
So with the tank off, what exactly should I look for?
Make sure both of the electrical connectors are in good shape and plugged in all the way. If those are good go a head and just trace back the wires a little to make sure somehow you didn't get a cut in one of the wires causing it to ground out. If those are good pull the tank off completely and remove the fuel pump. It's a bit of a bitch because the thing fits in there so tight mainly due to the fuel level switch bracket. Make sure the wires in there are good and haven't been pulled from the connectors or anything else. If everything looks good either the harness got messed up which you can check with a voltmeter, or the fuel pump just died. Either way fuel pump flashing 8 times means there is a short in that circuit somewhere somehow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man, will to Appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
But will the bike still run with this flashing? only reason i ask is because i have the same issue on my 07 and it will flash random times and seems to be like the 8 times then stops but starts back up again. I can hear the pump prime too. This only happens while im riding the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
also another thing to look at is one yes the fuel pump primes but in the fuel injected 2nd gen r6 if there is a short in the fuel light wires causing it to blink it will keep the bike from starting, proven fact,very simple circuit tho, under the tank
you have a green connector with two wires power and common ground,you can unplug it test resistance with the bike off and check to make sure the harness has good ground and power up to the tank via the harness side of the plug, if you dont have power there,there is a another plug on the left side under your left intake duct, could have been jarred loose in the lay down,

circuit works like this main power and ground from the main harness, two wires to the cluster for the light completing the path back to the tank and then fully completing the circuit till the level of fuel drops to a determined level which at that point the circuit will be broken causing the light to appear,

so if you have proper ground and power at the plug of the main harness check resistance through the wired off the tank should b around like. (.001 or .004 )if its any large amount your ground and power or sharing,thus a broken circuit in the tank, if you make a jumper wire in that little plug the stems off the main harness and jump the two wires in the plu together the light will turn off thus the bike will start,pretty much tricking it into thinking it has a full tank, but then you would be able to determine weather you have bad tilt sensors as well

hope thats of some use for ya buddy have a great one and good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have tested all the plugs from the fuel pump and I still am having the issue of flashing 8 times then shuts off for 2 and a half seconds. I have also checked the throttle position sensor and it seems to be fine by ohming it out. I have changed the plugs twice now cause the bike has just over 38,000 miles on it. I for the life of me can not track down what else it could be I mean its really random too when the light flashes. Could be 20 min into a ride or it could be right when I turn the key on when the bikes not even started yet. At ideas would help

1 - 20 of 32 Posts