Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ride hard, ride safe.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well the fuel light came on today when I was riding and had only been riding about 80 miles total over the past 3 days. Now the manual and dealership said it holds 4.9 gallons but when I went to fill up immediatly after the light came on, it only put in 2.6 gallons. Does the fuel light normally come on this early? Or is it just warning you saying you have about 10-18 more miles until fill up?

Thanks all, sorry if it sounds confusing :*tongue

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
its hard to say. if you REALLY filled the shit out of the tank like i do(literally up against the neck of the tank), you can ride for a while on a tank. if you just stick the pump nozzle in there and fill it, you arent getting close to your 4.6 gallons or whatever. i fill mine with the nozzle barely in at all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i dont know how many gallons i usually fill when the light comes on, but i usually get gas within 5 miles of the light coming on and it usually costs me like $10-11 bucks to fill it..so a little over 3 gallons i guess...and i fill it till it's pretty much in the neck of the tank

·
Coo Beenz
785 Posts
on my 04 R6 the fuel light comes on when there is .9 gallons left in the tank (according to the owners manual) I would assume yours would be the same. Sounds like there is something wrong.

·
Ride hard, ride safe.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope nothing is wrong. Maybe it's just the way the pump fills it. I bought the bike brand new and it only has 138 miles on it now. I mean anything is possible but I do know that when I hit about 87 miles the light comes on.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Do you fill the tank all the way to the top? Or do you just stick the pump all the way in to fill up?

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
I stick the pump all the way in to fill it up. And when it cuts off I stop filling.
you are not filling up to the top :fact pull the nozzle out and pull back on the tube that's on the nozzle. place the tip of the nozzle on the metal ring inside the gas cover. fill it up to that metal piece. i get about 120-130 commuting miles before the light comes on, 100 on spirited rides. the light comes on when you have about a gallon left in the tank. i've gone about 27 miles after the light comes on. i recommend getting to a station sooner than that though.

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
also, a full exhaust system can decrease mpg.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
you are not filling up to the top :fact pull the nozzle out and pull back on the tube that's on the nozzle. place the tip of the nozzle on the metal ring inside the gas cover. fill it up to that metal piece. i get about 120-130 commuting miles before the light comes on, 100 on spirited rides. the light comes on when you have about a gallon left in the tank. i've gone about 27 miles after the light comes on. i recommend getting to a station sooner than that though.

:fact:fact

also, a full exhaust system can decrease mpg.
really? why so? i thought the better air flow would help.

·
Coo Beenz
785 Posts
The previously stated is true, when it clicks off, I pull the nozzle out a bit and fill it so the gas is level with metal ring with the 5 holes in it, otherwise you're not actually filling it up

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also, make sure you're sitting on your bike so it's standing straight up... you'll get a little more gas in there rather then having it on the kickstand.

·
Ride hard, ride safe.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem solved. Filled it up and topped it off today! Thanks everyone for the advice. My stupidity for not thinking of that :lmao

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Also, make sure you're sitting on your bike so it's standing straight up... you'll get a little more gas in there rather then having it on the kickstand.
no clue how the hell you fill gas while sitting on it. cause then when you tip it over on the stand, wont it overflow then?

·
Coo Beenz
785 Posts
No problem thats what the forum is for. I usually fill it sitting on it, close it then tip it on the kickstand... never had any problems with it leaking

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
This thread is :BS

Start jerking it with the left hand and start holding the gas hose back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts