Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing a full back protector. Either Dainese or Alpinestars. I've seen and tried on the Dainese one, but has anyone tried on or currently use the Alpinestars one? How does it feel under the leathers?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i got the dainese. its okay, i guess, i never crashed to see if it works. if i waited a week i would have gotten the new icon vest w/ chest protector and back brace.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quick question, what is the purpose of a back protector? Does it aid in stopping road rash or keep your back from bending the wrong way? Thanks in advance guys, i know your good for it :cheers

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
04areSix said:
Quick question, what is the purpose of a back protector? Does it aid in stopping road rash or keep your back from bending the wrong way? Thanks in advance guys, i know your good for it :cheers
basically you just answered your own question. besides most race tracks require it. from what i hear, sliding on the pavement with leathers tend to get hot. so my theory is the more material between your skin and leathers, or should i say the ground is a good thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its to prevent your back from bending the wrong way, if you look at the design it bends only one way. I believe it was Ben Spies who wrecked last year in a 170 mph highside that said he was sliding so long that he could feel his back protector get hot :!:

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
gurl, it doesn't take sliding on his back to make him hot! don't you know Ben Spies is just a hottie! I mean, he's a total hottie! he makes me quiver on the inside....

sorry, all these meds are making me wierd.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
penfold said:
gurl, it doesn't take sliding on his back to make him hot! don't you know Ben Spies is just a hottie! I mean, he's a total hottie! he makes me quiver on the inside....

sorry, all these meds are making me wierd.....
What the ****?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
04areSix said:
Yeah, both to prevent your back from bending the wrong way and from impacts.

The back protector was originally invented in the 1970's by Barry Sheene. He made it from old visors that would bend one way but not the other. He gave the design to Dainese, which went on to mass produce them.

I have a small back protector that I wear with my regular riding jacket, and I'm thinking about getting the larger full back protector for when I'm on the track and in the canyons.

Wayne Rainey broke his back in a MotoGP race about a decade ago. He was paralyzed from the waist down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts